pink eye

Help Support CattleToday:

coalminer

Reaction score
A few of my cattle have come down with pink eye. We have given antibiotics. Just looking to see if anyone has anymore ways to help. Apparently several of the farms out here have gotten infected and now mine are as well.

I've heard of salting the eye, and shooting a bleach solution on it. There is a spray out there as well. There is also a vaccine to prevent them from getting it. Best prevention is keeping the weeds down.

Just getting my problem under control here. LA200 did the trick for me. It may not be approved but I had a vet once tell me to go ahead and give 1cc of the LA200 in the eye along with the injection of the proper dose (which is one heck of a lot). I used a syringe with no needle on it and squirted it into the eye of all my infected cattle. It's been 2 weeks now and as of this morning no more runny or cloudy eyes around here. The only exception is my bull who had it bad. His came on quick and I caught it late. Checked him today and I'm just now starting to see some black around the corners of his eye. Hope he don't lose sight in that eye.

I've had cattle I've treated for pink eye and others I've let go. In all the cases it cleared up. Do a google search on pink eye in cattle and you will learn a heck of a lot.

There is a vaccine but if I remember right it only works on a certain form of it. If you got a lot of cattle it might not be cost effective. I don't know anybody thats ever given it but chances are you will find out here if someone has used it and how well it worked.

Keep your pastures trimmed and hope for the best.

J

pinkeye here seems to correlate with fly population so keep that in check as well.

Latest posts