pinewood derby cars

Help Support CattleToday:

ga. prime

Reaction score
Does anybody have any secrets on how to make a pinewood derby car go fast? I've made several over the years and they always end up at or near last place for speed.(They do well in best-looking or whatever they call it). I just learned that I have to do another one this weekend and would really like to have one be competetive in the speed category.

WE have only built 2. Been told to polish the axles and even turn the wheels. Also they say to get wheels with the same number so that they came out of the same die.

Get the weight right up to the max, our mistake the first time was having the weight unbalanced. I found some forums on them when I searched but did not save. They might help some.

Thanks Tom. Do you think the weight should be the same on each axle? Or more on the front axle or more on the rear axle?

I just did a search on derby cars and found there is an entire cottage industry built around selling speed kits for these things. What a racket. I ain't buying. Any further advice in addition to Tom's will be appreciated.

Tom, I just caught that where you wrote WE. Of course I am only there to guide and advise my son in this endeavor. As I have with my other sons in the past. So, I shouldn't have said I built several derby cars over the years. I should've said WE. Just an innocent ommision.

All of your weight should be towards the rear of the car. Make the axles where only three of the wheels are touching with one of the front wheels not touching.

My advise is to get the weight up to the maximum allowed. I did some for my kids when they were in Cub Scouts. Nothing fancy, but ok for my limited skills. We used graphite on the wheels also.

Spray liquid graphite on the axles. Helps a little. Pine box derby has gotten out of hand in some circles. I always thought the point was for the child to do most of the work but some parents take this to extremes.

Thanks for all the responses. Very encouraging. jgn, that's a tough assignmant, getting all the weight on 3 wheels and one free wheelin'. But I like it.

Force = Mass times acceleration. The force should be the constant (height of the ramp or CO2.) My bet is to reduce the mass if you are using CO2. Graphite it a necessity. Think in terms of aero dynamics when you cut the mass.

ffamom, no CO2 allowed. But your other tips are well appreciated and will receive full consideration.

Drill a 23/64 hole in the bottom of the car and then use 357 lead cast bullets to bring the car up to weight. And then use graphite on the wheels.

Chuck the axles in a drill and polish them. Don't overlook the heads, because they often have a bur on them that touches the outside of the wheel. Turn the wheels so they are round.

The rules state all 4 wheels must be touching. Also, it's good to make sure there are no burrs or lips on the wheels, but rounded wheels will also get you disqualified. We have found that putting the weight exactly in the center...on the bottom works best for us. The boys like to use enamal paint and car wax for a "faster" car. Our best placing was 3rd at District. (We've been racing for 10 years!...5 boys worth)

My nephews car won 1st one year, 2nd the next. My son won 1st in the age group. The key is the weight being exactly to spec, next de burr the axles with a drill and some wet/dry sand paper. Then put graphite on all 4 wheels. Make sure there is nothing but the wheels touching the track. I also polish the wheels with 220 grit sandpaper to get the rough spots off. Then switch to 400 grit. I put the nail(axle) in the drill to polish the wheels. Follow up on the axles with steel wool to final polish using the drill. My cars always smoke the other cars. :D

I spent 4 yrs as Cub Master for my boys Pack. The biggest thing of the year I hated was the Pinewood Derby Race.

You could look at a car, and know 99% of the time, just how close the boy ever got to it. I have handed out trophies to the boys of the winning cars, and again just looking at the boy, you knew if he had anything to do with it.

The way I was able to get the parents out of the car building business was to hold a parent race division. This was done the night before the boys race. I also held a seperate award for the "Best Boy Build Car". This was a beauty contest voted on by the boys.

I do understand the point you make, and fully agree that the younger they are, the more help they need.

What I was referring to were those parents who simply took over the project, rather than help as age/skill required.

My Son's cars also came in first and second in two years competition.

Here's what he did (with advise from me):
1. Deburr and polish the axles. Pay attention to the "flashing" under the head of the brad. Minumize the axle contact area with the bore in the wheel. Less contact area, less friction, faster car.
2. After all finishing has been completed bring the weight up to the limit allowed. Use lead placed in a hole near the center of the car.
3. DRY graphite all four axles every day for two or three days before the event.
4. Make sure the wheels are smooth and round. This is kinda tough because I think the rules have changed these days to limit what you can do to them. (My Son put a crown on them so that there was only a "line" touching the track). I think you are allowed to run some cambur these days but not real sure.
5. Make sure the area of the car (wood) that comes in contact with the inside of the wheels is VERY hard and smooth - and slick. (Think epoxy or washer)
6. Don't know how much aerodynamics plays at Pine Wood Derby speeds but it wouldn't hurt to make the cars slick and wedge shaped.
7. Last, but very important. When my Son was doing this the kids were allowed to place the cars on the starting line. ONE SIDE OF THE TRACK WILL ALWAYS BE FASTER THAN THE OTHER. Be observant.

Good luck and have fun!

Latest posts