Pine Trees

Help Support CattleToday:

Just Curious

Reaction score
Do any of you graze your cattle through pine trees? I had heard recently that the pine's needles aren't all that great and can cause bred cows to abort? Have any of you found that to be true? If that is the case, is it worse in certain stages of pregnancy than others?
TIA
Chuck Lewis
Ronan, MT

My cattle graze around pine trees ,a few years ago I had a cow that aborted , I don't know what caused it but I don't think it was the pines. I never had any others.

We aborted three this past Sept when a wind storm brought down some pine branches...one five month and two three month bred cows. Some cows just get a taste for pine needles and will eat them no matter how good the feed is while their herd mates ignore them.
Takes about 72 hours after eating the pine needles to slip the fetus. Pondorosa and other species affect them. We trim the trees up as far as my 6'3" son can reach with the cutters and remove any saplings.
I wouldn't run bred cows in the pine.
And thats my two bits worth....Dave Mc

All of our summer pasture is around pine trees. As long as they have something else to eat they wont touch the pine needles, or over here anyway they wont.

If you are worried about turning out into a pasture just watch your stocking rate so they wont run out of food and you will be fine.

Latest posts