pine for framing and siding of a pole barn

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I have access to alot of free white pine logs and a sawmill... Do any of you all build a complete barn out of pine? if so whats the good and bad of using pine. I am trying to find some poplar to mill and oak for the framing lumber so far pine is free and in abundance. Let me know please :help:

Other than rosen,termites,pine beetles,and carpenter bees,I can't think of any reasons.If you can deal with the insects, the wood should work okay-its just not as strong or weather resistant as some others.Others may have different experiance but when I got some for siding I put a good dose of copper sulfate ( I think) on the joints and ends.

There is absolutely no reason not to use it. Raw pine is susceptible to decay and animals such as horses and mules love to chew on it. The only real problem that would be a concern would be ground contact and that can be solved by raising the wall off of the ground a little and using treated post or light poles for post. Poplar, even though it is considered a hard wood, is more susceptible to decay than pine. Oak, though a stronger wood is not that much better a choice, bugs love it about the same as the rest, but the animals will leave it alone. A good barn stain on the outside will take care of the weather and bees, and careful planing in regard to the ground will take care of the rest.

The yellow pines (loblolly and virginia) in your area will work well but I would avoid the white pine. There is a reason it is free. It will not stand the weather or contact to the ground. If you have hemlock the bugs will not bother it and it will last well.

you are correct i have a pine wood shed that i spray diesel burnt motor oil and boric acid every 3 months on it to keep bugs from eating it up. the sides have no ground contact but the wood looks ok so far and that was yellow pine.

Do you have problems with pine beetles? They have killed nearly all the pine forests in the north of Alberta and BC getting to be very serious problem they say that they might move to the spruce when they run out of pine. Most of the pines in the towns have had to come down as the municipal districs are trying to stop them but no luck so far seems a shame of all these old pines are being burnt to try to stop them.

skyhightree1":3upf9hdy said:
How long should i let the green siding boards dry before putting them up ?

To air dry it takes a year per inch but depending on how you do the siding it may not matter.

While chain-sawing pine I got a lot of sawdust on me and developed an allergy to pine sawdust or anything with the same chemical in it. Lots of things have it in that you would not expect,the adhesive for Elastoplast for an instance. Once the body reacts to the sawdust overload the slightest contact brings up a rash. The pine needles on the ground kill off all competition by grasses and the like . Nothing grows in a pine forest except pines and there are no birds in it!

In Australia we have Cyprus pine which nothing eats and it´s used for flooring because its very hard and durable ,knotty though.

Latest posts