PINDAR

Help Support CattleToday:

grannysoo

Reaction score
552-433 B.C. Greek poetry writer once wrote:

"Not every truth is the better for showing its face undisguised; and often silence is the wisest thing for a man to heed."

You folks do realize that with these quotes we are sucessful in demonstrating that people born 2500 years ago were smarted than those typing their brains out here today.

as for this particular quote.....
telling the truth has gotten me into just as much trouble in my life as telling lies.

Now, since I still have trouble keeping my mouth shut.....
I just keep my head down and mumble a lot.

Mumbleing has served me well,as has pretend (I hope) senility :lol2:

grannysoo":lwwyxp58 said:

"Not every truth is the better for showing its face undisguised; and often silence is the wisest thing for a man to heed."

granny...I didn't know you were into the classics. Are you reading this in the original greek and translating to english?? ;-)

My daughter went to high school with a couple who went to college to study Greek together. So they could read the bible in the first translation, y'know. That's what I call it, too.
grannysoo is either far more academic than we have realized, or he's googling Greek philosophers to impress us. OK either way. We could use a little more culture around here, as long as it doesn't interfere with TN jokes and roadkill recipes.

TexasBred":2g6pafre said:
grannysoo":2g6pafre said:

granny...I didn't know you were into the classics. Are you reading this in the original greek and translating to english?? ;-)

The original Greek I can not read, so therefore I am forced to read the Queens English translations. If they were in Latin, I could probably muddle thru, however the Greek did not speak in Latin.

My thinking is that there is so much wisdom to learn from the old masters, that perhaps some wise statements would not get deleted like so many of the other words that have been posted.

There is surely a wise answer to every question from the old masters.........

granny since latin is a dead language and mine is even more dead, I appreciate you sticking with the english translation of the greek. :lol2: Keep'um coming. I still like a lot of those "Confucius says" as well. ;-)

grannysoo":bzfy0szr said:

Speaking of truth, here's a few quotes from Winston Churchill on the subject:

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.

If you have an important point to make, don't try to be subtle or clever. Use a pile driver. Hit the point once. Then come back and hit it again. Then hit it a third time - a tremendous whack.

Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.

The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is.

Oh I like that VanC-very appropriate, especially this one-
VanC":10qkjso2 said:
If you have an important point to make, don't try to be subtle or clever. Use a pile driver. Hit the point once. Then come back and hit it again. Then hit it a third time - a tremendous whack.
How many more hits required Grannysoo? :D .

For the answer to that, let's go to a more "modern day" man, Oscar Wilde:

"I can stand brute force, but brute reason is quite unbearable. There is something unfair about its use. It is hitting below the intellect."

Oscar Wilde quotes (Irish Poet, Novelist, Dramatist and Critic, 1854-1900)

Ryder":1hb8vla7 said:
I think you are right. Old stuff needs to be reclaimed.
Some dude said, "Aint nothing new under the sun", or somethng like that.
King Solomon. Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Latest posts