Pictures!

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
So I took some pictures of the herd over the last week..

Sooo comfy! (Zecca)
20170519_103017.jpg

Sooo itchy! (Hera)
20170524_111953.jpg

Chroma with her late heifer calf Omega.. Full sister to Sigma, so she may turn into something nice
20170529_100311.jpg

Hera, Zecca and Omega in the background
20170604_182303.jpg

Chester the orphan and his adoptive brother Herfy.. He's doing alright all things considered.. I think he's pretty much on his own, so I may actually fully wean him and give him grain
20170607_192250.jpg

Caddy's daughter.. it's also her granddaughter.. she's growing good and looks decent
20170609_142958.jpg

Bred heifer Yotta, not a perfect pose but it'll have to do
20170609_150744.jpg

Bred heifer Sigma.. now that's how you pose!
20170609_190500.jpg

Caddy, and her daughter from last year Coda behind her
20170616_095924.jpg

Bred heifer Coda.. I'm hoping for the best on her.. doesn't look great, but I have too much other stuff to cull this year so she gets a shot...
20170616_100119.jpg

Zecca again
20170609_190716.jpg

Omega at about 3 weeks old
20170616_095859.jpg

wbvs58":38wmxjkx said:
Great photos Nesi, they are getting to be a fairly even line.

Ken

Thanks. it's going to take me another 2 generations or so to really get somewhere.. Hera is definitely the prize heifer this year, she's probably around 400 lbs, heaviest and meatiest of the bunch.. and BOSSY so I have no worries for her... all she needs to do is breed and make milk now.
Zecca is another one I really like the build of, though a little less white would be more marketable, bred to a solid red she should still make solid calves.. Omega, well, she was born late so she has catching up to do, but looking at her full sister Sigma, it looks like she'd be quite capable of pulling it off.. Hera's mother was born late too and you would never be able to tell when she was a yearling.
the yearlings Sigma and Yotta have turned out very well.. again, all they have to do is perform.. both are real sweethearts, especially Yotta that just likes to have company and stand beside you to chew cud

In a week I get rid of both of my bulls and my one open cow, it's going to be interesting getting 2 bulls loaded into the trailer... both are pretty calm, but don't like each other of course.. On my return trip I'll pick up Hector.. maybe there'll be a cow or two left for him to clean up and I can see how he works with my cows.. I was impressed with is calves from a very mixed herd and he is just perfect for my linebreeding experiment and learning endeavor.

Here's a pic of the 4th replacement heifer this year "Saga".. pic is from 2 months ago but I don't have a decent recent one.. I have a full sister that has her first calf this year.. she seems alright.
20170427_154723s.jpg

Here's the matriarch Caddy with her big family.. 4 daughters and a son around her... I might try and get a picture at weaning time of her entire family (add a dozen of her sons calves)... Zecca is her double-granddaughter
20170616_093553.jpg

I like your cattle, very uniform group.

That looks like elk country, do you guys have Rocky Mtn or Roosevelts in that region?

cfpinz":3tdzkpmx said:
I like your cattle, very uniform group.

That looks like elk country, do you guys have Rocky Mtn or Roosevelts in that region?
No elk or moose around here, lots of deer though.. seems to vary, some years it's whitetail, others its mule deer.. been whitetails for a while now.. usually find the fawns when I mow.. never quite run one over yet

MRRherefords":3tdzkpmx said:
The grass looks really good too. Have you had plenty of rain lately?
no, not much rain.. I do a whole lot of irrigating.. I will say it's been a cool spring, we had one weekend of hot weather, about 2 weeks of miserable gusting wind, the rest has been kinda blah. I'm attempting to make hay, but it's not reassuring weather for it

Latest posts