Pictures of a calf

Help Support CattleToday:

j&lfarms

Reaction score
This is the calf out of that heifer I was asking questions about a few months ago. I was worried about her since she was a little young to be having a calf, but she is rasing a good once. I don't know how she will be after I wean him, but maybe she will bounce back and grow alright.

Looks like she put it all into the calf. You will know how she really did when you preg check her!

My question would be did she run with a bull this summer. If she did and bred back I would pull that calf now and feed her up some so that she is solid on the second pregnancy.

If she did and is open then I would wean the calf let her regain some condidion and ship her.

If she didn't then how long are you willing to feed her till that second calf arrives!

I don't really want to wean the calf now. He is only 3 months old. She is more than likely bred or she hasn't started cycling yet. I'm not feeding them much of anything. I fed her for the first month after she calved but then stopped. If I sell her then I'll just buy back with another heifer or cow.

Ship her because she did her job? What more could you ask for from a "teenage" pregnancy??? That calf looks pretty awesome for a 90 day old calf, so she is doing her job. Give her a break, and some extra groceries for her effort, and keep her if she bred back. Everyone whines when their cattle are not fertile enough or can not raise a good calf... Looks like she is doing both to me!
Just my opinion though...

I would rather keep her than sell her if she is bred. How often you seen a teen cow that do an exceptional job with her first calf?

I had a 6 month get bred last summer.. Calved this spring, had to pull calf but once calf hit the ground she did her job.. But she became a little wild after for some reason

Fire Sweep Ranch":285oobaf said:
Ship her because she did her job? What more could you ask for from a "teenage" pregnancy??? That calf looks pretty awesome for a 90 day old calf, so she is doing her job. Give her a break, and some extra groceries for her effort, and keep her if she bred back. Everyone whines when their cattle are not fertile enough or can not raise a good calf... Looks like she is doing both to me!

Read the whole post. BTW her JOB is to raise a calf every year. I doubt that she is a special genetic package that can't be replaced. That calf is worth almost the same money at the sale right now as he will be in 3 months but in 3 months the heifer will be sucked down so far she won't be worth keeping.

Firesweep maybe you could answer a question for me. What would you rate her BCS to be based on those pictures. If you look at her right now with a 250lb calf on her and the end of green grass in sight. What would lead you to believe she is going to look anything but worse in 2 or 3 months. If the calf is only 90 days old and she looks like this my best guess is she did not and probably won't breed back.

IF! She is bred 4 months after calving keep her, she is doing what looks like a great job with the calf. But like 3 way said it's also a cows job to calve every 11 to 13 months or so. There is plenty of good cows for sale that will make you money and do what they need to do if this one won't.

3waycross":2s6wxhbt said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":2s6wxhbt said:

Read the whole post. BTW her JOB is to raise a calf every year. I doubt that she is a special genetic package that can't be replaced. That calf is worth almost the same money at the sale right now as he will be in 3 months but in 3 months the heifer will be sucked down so far she won't be worth keeping.

Firesweep maybe you could answer a question for me. What would you rate her BCS to be based on those pictures. If you look at her right now with a 250lb calf on her and the end of green grass in sight. What would lead you to believe she is going to look anything but worse in 2 or 3 months. If the calf is only 90 days old and she looks like this my best guess is she did not and probably won't breed back.

Oh, she is WAY too skinny for me, that is why I said give her extra groceries! I would say she is lucky if she is a 2 or 3 MAYBE in BCS. There is no way she will be able to recover without some assistance. What I was trying to say is that IF she is good enough to do her job and breed back, she needs to be kept. But I agree, the calf needs to be taken off. At 90 days, he can be put on grain for a few weeks and then shipped or what ever. They are both going to suffer as soon as the grass turns brown.
Thus another reason I do not like having breeding age bulls around my girls; no problem with accidental pregnancies in the ones that are too young. Too often it ends bad, and you lose the productive life of the cow.

I bought her when she was 7 months old. She was in a feild with other young heifers and bull calves. I didn't think anything about her being bred until she started bagging up. I almost sold her then but she calved before I could get her to the stock yard. She's in better shape than the pictures make it look. I'm not saying she's not a little skinny but she's not a 2 on the bcs scale.

Latest posts