Pics of heifers.

Help Support CattleToday:

VtMapleGal

Reaction score
First pic is our simmental heifer. Second is our new red angus heifer (born in oct) and the third is my Rocky Mountain horse (didnt want him to feel jealous).
girly.jpg

Ginger.jpg

Colby.jpg

That black Halter looks tite on that little calf make sure you dont leave it on for long periods of time the strap will go into her nose or behind her ears
-Isaac V

The simmental had a real hard start. The angus was just pulled from her momma. She's a wild one. The black halter came off just after the pics, its a weanling size so its small on her. the angus is in a yearling size already.

I just got him in the fall, and i have never driven, but he origianly came from a menenite (sp?) farm so im assuming he drives.

VtMapleGal":30jo8cih said:
feel free to post your opinions.

They look skinny, the red angus could be lower in her hook and deeper in her rear flank and is bull necked..The Simmy looks over at the knees, sickly hocked, and "bull" headed, but with a better picture u could get better opoians..They do have some muscle. This is just my opioan, Bez , Dun , Alice??? Are you going to show them???

cow_crazy_101":y77e675q said:
VtMapleGal":y77e675q said:

They look skinny, the red angus could be lower in her hook and deeper in her rear flank and is bull necked..The Simmy looks over at the knees, sickly hocked, and "bull" headed, but with a better picture u could get better opoians..They do have some muscle. This is just my opioan, Bez , Dun , Alice??? Are you going to show them???
cow_crazy_101 -

Under the given circumstances, I think you are being a little exploitative with your "101" Judging training. Your terms are not legitimately descriptive - "look skinny" ( I would ask - -"compared to - what??) "lower in her hook", (I am unfamiliar with this descriptive terminology), "over at the knees", (do you mean "Buck-kneed?") "sickly hocked" (the term is "sickle hocked", but from this angle it is impossible to determine that characteristic. She 'appears' a little "cow-hocked" but that is because she is a calf). As a matter of fact - they are BOTH calves, and as such, their phenotype will change incrementally and exponentially as their genetic potential dictates in relationship to the proper care they may be given by their Dams milk, and expected future weaning growth, and potential Yearling maturation. "Bull-headed" is subjective, and I disagree with your assumption. At this age, the phrase is too harsh to be definitive. Also, at this age, the physiology of the Red Angus calf has not developed enough to be considered lacking in the depth of her rear flank, which frankly, in this picture, she is NOT shallow in the rear flank.

And, parenthetically, the term is not "opioan". It is "opinion".

I would suggest that you peruse your "Judging Terminology" a little more carefully, and intensify your visual appraisal skills. It is very difficult to accurately determine optimally desirable phenotypic traits and characteristics in a young, suckling calf. It is always advisable to understand that a photograph of an individual is never adequate to successfully visually appraise a subject. The camera angles will ALWAYS distort reality, and the fore-shortening effect will mis-represent the true proportion of all body parts, particularly the head-on view.

DOC HARRIS

My plan is to breed them when they are old enough. Probably both to an angus bull. If i get steers ill raise em for meet. If i get heifers ill either keep em or sell em.

cow_crazy_101":1whuitwz said:
VtMapleGal":1whuitwz said:

I am not a judge of conformation...but I will say this. Having raised holstein bull babies on a bottle, anything that gets to this age looks wonderful to me. :)

They look healthy and have beautiful coats...and look extremely well cared for. Past that, I have to defer to the experts.

The horse looks surprised...I love it! :D Oh, and he is a good lookin' animal.

Alice

DOC HARRIS":q9nbk0sq said:
cow_crazy_101":q9nbk0sq said:
VtMapleGal":q9nbk0sq said:

cow_crazy_101 -

Under the given circumstances, I think you are being a little exploitative with your "101" Judging training. Your terms are not legitimately descriptive - "look skinny" ( I would ask - -"compared to - what??) "lower in her hook", (I am unfamiliar with this descriptive terminology), "over at the knees", (do you mean "Buck-kneed?") "sickly hocked" (the term is "sickle hocked", but from this angle it is impossible to determine that characteristic. She 'appears' a little "cow-hocked" but that is because she is a calf). As a matter of fact - they are BOTH calves, and as such, their phenotype will change incrementally and exponentially as their genetic potential dictates in relationship to the proper care they may be given by their Dams milk, and expected future weaning growth, and potential Yearling maturation. "Bull-headed" is subjective, and I disagree with your assumption. At this age, the phrase is too harsh to be definitive. Also, at this age, the physiology of the Red Angus calf has not developed enough to be considered lacking in the depth of her rear flank, which frankly, in this picture, she is NOT shallow in the rear flank.

I would suggest that you peruse your "Judging Terminology" a little more carefully, and intensify your visual appraisal skills. It is very difficult to accurately determine optimally desirable phenotypic traits and characteristics in a young, suckling calf. It is always advisable to understand that a photograph of an individual is never adequate to successfully visually appraise a subject. The camera angles will ALWAYS distort reality, and the fore-shortening effect will mis-represent the true proportion of all body parts, particularly the head-on view.

DOC HARRIS

I stand corrected. 101 does not mean anything, just needed something put at the end of my username, and i happened to think of " zoey 101 " at the time and thought it went well with cow_crazy_101. And I was just putting what i thought down, If i had known you would mock my spelling and my words,{had a really long day, My dad went to the hospital monday} cut and butcher everthing i wrote i would not have put anything down. No where did I say that i was "101" Judging training." I am not. The terms i used are stilled used at shows i attened sometimes. Hope you have a good day!

Doc is right. No judge at any show I have ever heard of has ever used the word "skinny". Instead they would say something like; 'this steer needs more condition' or 'the other steers in the class were more filled out today' or 'this heifer is not as far along as the others' or 'the other animals in today's class were in better flesh'.
I don't think any of that applies to the animals in the pics (who all looked good to me). Grow the calves out and judge them at or near 200 days.

Cow_Crazy_101-

I am replying to this quote: - DOC HARRIS

" I stand corrected. 101 does not mean anything, just needed something put at the end of my username, and i happened to think of " zoey 101 " at the time and thought it went well with cow_crazy_101. And I was just putting what i thought down, If i had known you would mock my spelling and my words,{had a really long day, My dad went to the hospital monday} cut and butcher everthing i wrote i would not have put anything down. No where did I say that i was "101" Judging training." I am not. The terms i used are stilled used at shows i attened sometimes. Hope you have a good day!"

You have completely misunderstood my intentions when I commented about your post! I was NOT "mocking" your spelling and your words, - only your terminology in Beef Judging, which was meant in a helpful manner. Don't take offense. The only "mocking" I do is that of Liberal Left-Wing Democrats :devil2: and their Fellow-Travelers in the News Media, :mad: which I do quite well, and with gusto and disdain!

Likewise, I did not "cut and butcher" everything that you wrote. I was merely attempting to help you with your vocation (avocation?) which is part and parcel of being a good Beef Producer. Knowing what to look for, and how to express what you see is crucial in being a success in ANY business, and Beef Production is a BU$INE$$ , and the more professional you can present yourself to other people, the more they will respect you.

Enough comment on this subject!

I am sorry about your father. I hope that he will recover from his problems. I have - and will - pray for him and a speedy recovery!

DOC HARRIS

Cow Crazy 101 I also thought you were being a little mean and critical with your comments.However now that you have said what a difficult week it has been for you that is completely understandable as the critique seemed completely out of character for you you usually have nothing but nice comments of encouragement.Hopefully VtMapleGal didn't get offended.It is brave enough of someone to even post pics let alone ask for opinions.And about the spelling until there is an automatic spell check available when posting I plead the 5th and I myself have never claimed to be a typist.
I hope your week is going better and that your father is doing well and feeling better.

cow_crazy_101":1sxly6l8 said:
DOC HARRIS":1sxly6l8 said:
cow_crazy_101":1sxly6l8 said:
VtMapleGal":1sxly6l8 said:

cow_crazy_101 -

DOC HARRIS

I stand corrected. 101 does not mean anything, just needed something put at the end of my username, and i happened to think of " zoey 101 " at the time and thought it went well with cow_crazy_101. And I was just putting what i thought down, If i had known you would mock my spelling and my words,{had a really long day, My dad went to the hospital monday} cut and butcher everthing i wrote i would not have put anything down. No where did I say that i was "101" Judging training." I am not. The terms i used are stilled used at shows i attened sometimes. Hope you have a good day!

Relax a little! If know Doc you will understand that there isn't a better spoken man on this board whose intentions are for a higher learning rather than to be rude. Sorry to hear about a bad day, but be sure to know the person you are replying to before you accuse them of being rotten.

hillsdown":veed9elx said:
Cow Crazy 101 I also thought you were being a little mean and critical with your comments.However now that you have said what a difficult week it has been for you that is completely understandable as the critique seemed completely out of character for you you usually have nothing but nice comments of encouragement.Hopefully VtMapleGal didn't get offended.It is brave enough of someone to even post pics let alone ask for opinions.And about the spelling until there is an automatic spell check available when posting I plead the 5th and I myself have never claimed to be a typist.
I hope your week is going better and that your father is doing well and feeling better.

CowCrazy is a sweetie...and she was following comments that have been presented that she's read by other posters to other pictures...I'm sure that's all.

Personally, I don't comment on pics other than "I looooove that baby." I know what it is to get knocked and then told to suck it up...so, I just avoid it. Yes, I am a woosie.

AND, as far as Doc is concerned, I love him to death. He's helped me along more than anyone here when it comes to know what to look at and what to look for. He's straightforward, but his heart is in the right place.

Cowcrazy, VTMapleGirl...this can be a tough bunch. Just know that most here, no matter their presentation, are good, helpful people.

Alice

Alice that is what I meant ;but also she seems to be close to quite a few of you on the board especially you ;and if it has been a really hard and troubling couple of days for her I hope that she knows that she can talk to most anyone here.I personally think it's great that a gal her age is on this forum and giving advice(good) as much as some of the old timers that have been with cattle for 40+ years.

hillsdown":ipqvqi0m said:
Alice that is what I meant ;but also she seems to be close to quite a few of you on the board especially you ;and if it has been a really hard and troubling couple of days for her I hope that she knows that she can talk to most anyone here.I personally think it's great that a gal her age is on this forum and giving advice(good) as much as some of the old timers that have been with cattle for 40+ years.

Indeed! :)

Alice

DOC HARRIS":1iwnhv5h said:
Cow_Crazy_101-

I am replying to this quote: - DOC HARRIS

" I stand corrected. 101 does not mean anything, just needed something put at the end of my username, and i happened to think of " zoey 101 " at the time and thought it went well with cow_crazy_101. And I was just putting what i thought down, If i had known you would mock my spelling and my words,{had a really long day, My dad went to the hospital monday} cut and butcher everthing i wrote i would not have put anything down. No where did I say that i was "101" Judging training." I am not. The terms i used are stilled used at shows i attened sometimes. Hope you have a good day!"

You have completely misunderstood my intentions when I commented about your post! I was NOT "mocking" your spelling and your words, - only your terminology in Beef Judging, which was meant in a helpful manner. Don't take offense. The only "mocking" I do is that of Liberal Left-Wing Democrats :devil2: and their Fellow-Travelers in the News Media, :mad: which I do quite well, and with gusto and disdain!

Likewise, I did not "cut and butcher" everything that you wrote. I was merely attempting to help you with your vocation (avocation?) which is part and parcel of being a good Beef Producer. Knowing what to look for, and how to express what you see is crucial in being a success in ANY business, and Beef Production is a BU$INE$$ , and the more professional you can present yourself to other people, the more they will respect you.

Enough comment on this subject!

I am sorry about your father. I hope that he will recover from his problems. I have - and will - pray for him and a speedy recovery!

DOC HARRIS

thank you for the well wishes for my dad. I will admit that i was not in a good mood today, so sorry if i offened anyone. ALSO if i am in a bad mood later on this week it is because my Father will be in the hospital for a month if not more for major depression. He has had Lyme for the past 7 years. This is the worse bout in a long time. They are going to do Electric Shock Therepy to try to bring him out of the depression. If that does not work he may be hospitalized for 2 or 3 monthes. and 18 and under are not alowed to see him and i am 14 so i probley won't see him for 1 or 2 monthes... so yeah that is why i was in a rotten when i posted those emails. DOC, please don't take anything to heart what i said. And yes i have my heart set on being a vet!!!hopefully i will have a job this summer which will A. help pay the bills. and B. help with the growing cost of showing.

Alice, that you sticking up for me, U are the real sweetie :heart: :heart: :) :D :D
Hillsdown, i never though anybody really noticed my posts, Thank you for the comments, sorry but i have to ask you this do i really give good advice sometimes????....you both sorta brightened the day with your comments.

And I love learning new terminolgy about cows, I did Hefier and Steer judging in january and studied for like 2 monthes and got a 142 out of a possible 150 so i have really been trying to learn more about cattle since then.Plus i love COWS!!!!.

Yes, Skinny was a bad choice of word to use, sorry. under conditioned would have been more approite sp?.

Latest posts