picky calves-need help on feed

Help Support CattleToday:

mystery74

Reaction score
Ok hope this doesnt sound stupid to everyone, but just looking for some opinions out there, I have three calves, 1 is sick (treating him now ) but he doesnt like whole corn, the other two dont seem to be bothered by it however I dont think they like wet molasses, so I tried a different recipe that my father in law gets which is shelled corn, oats, dry molasses but they dont like how powdery it is and leave 50% of the powder in the feeder so its like throwing my money away, any suggestions out there?

The dry molasses mix should get their interest. How big and how old are they? How much feed are you giving them at a time? Are they getting hay or do they have access to grass?

jkwilson":3uny3uea said:
The dry molasses mix should get their interest. How big and how old are they? How much feed are you giving them at a time? Are they getting hay or do they have access to grass?
they are all 6-8 months old, they get all the feed they can eat in a day I put about 1/2 bag in feeder of two different kinds of feed but they leave that powder in the feeder and wont eat it, its a waste and then one calf wont eat whole kernels , no pasture for them to graze on yet, fence should be finished this weekend but they get hay, I keep trying new feeds and spending a fistful of money trying to figure out what they want, whole kernels isnt working, and now either is shelled

I've got a heifer that is real picky about her feed. But I've got her on a show mix.

I don't think you said, but how long in between are you giving them to adjust to the new feed?

warpaint":1quqh29r said:
I've got a heifer that is real picky about her feed. But I've got her on a show mix.

I don't think you said, but how long in between are you giving them to adjust to the new feed?
The one calf starved himself for over a week I finally had to put him on kentrol for awhile, I thought he was relapsing on me and when we offered him a different feed he ate it, not sure on all the different ways of having the corn fixed? NEVER had this problem

If the fines are corn or broken up pellet dust a little rodent butts will help to stick it together and keep the sorting to a minimum.

dun

mystery74":3p43hone said:
they are all 6-8 months old, they get all the feed they can eat in a day I put about 1/2 bag in feeder of two different kinds of feed but they leave that powder in the feeder

Sounds like a lot of feed at once. Split it into two feedings and they'll probably clean it up better. Not really clear if you are putting a half-bag each of two different feeds or a half-bag total. A half each would be 50 lbs of feed, which is a lot of feed for calves that age. If they are 500 lbs each, 30-40 lbs a day would be pushing pretty hard, and if one of them isn't eating, the other two are going to be so full they won't mess with the stuff in the bottom of the trough.

Herefordcross":2n97g3bp said:
I'm sorry to be unkind but, if they won't eat what I feed them. UNLESS they are or have been sick, then they'll die or go to the sale barn!
I'm almost to that point, but just was seeing what other choices i had, this feed that is shelled corn, looks like powder with some little pieces of corn in it, :roll: we used to feed three years ago and let me tell you, my daughters dairy beef steers look like crap and she got 4 and 5th place and 3rd place with each her beef steers, the next year we switched feed and she did alot better, but it seems like these calves just dont want to eat it, but thank you for your advice, i am sick of the picky eaters!

mystery74":16tjnosc said:
Ok hope this doesnt sound stupid to everyone, but just looking for some opinions out there, I have three calves, 1 is sick (treating him now ) but he doesnt like whole corn, the other two dont seem to be bothered by it however I dont think they like wet molasses, so I tried a different recipe that my father in law gets which is shelled corn, oats, dry molasses but they dont like how powdery it is and leave 50% of the powder in the feeder so its like throwing my money away, any suggestions out there?

If I'm reading this right, they are eating the corn and oats, but don't like the dry molasses? If that is the case, then just leave out the molasses.

mystery74":1a6a65um said:
this feed that is shelled corn, looks like powder with some little pieces of corn in it, :roll: we used to feed three years ago and let me tell you, my daughters dairy beef steers look like crap and she got 4 and 5th place and 3rd place with each her beef steers
So the shelled corn is part of a mix that you are mixing with something else? What else is in that mix?

My philosophy is keep it simple. We feed shell corn from a local farmer and whole cotton seed from a local gin to our butcher calves. We also keep hay and mineral out there for them free choice.

Tod Dague":3au414zm said:
mystery74":3au414zm said:
this feed that is shelled corn, looks like powder with some little pieces of corn in it, :roll: we used to feed three years ago and let me tell you, my daughters dairy beef steers look like crap and she got 4 and 5th place and 3rd place with each her beef steers
So the shelled corn is part of a mix that you are mixing with something else? What else is in that mix?

My philosophy is keep it simple. We feed shell corn from a local farmer and whole cotton seed from a local gin to our butcher calves. We also keep hay and mineral out there for them free choice.
I have it mixed at a local feed mill, they eat the shelled corn, they also put oats, protein, this was my first batch at this feed mill, and I had a friend look at it, he said to go back to the other feed mill, it was just to powdery and it was like throwing my money away, they just didnt like the powder thanks for all your suggestions board!

Shelled corn is not a good feed choice in my opinion.Its not uncommon for cattle not to eat it.Especially smaller cattle.I feed a 14 % feed from the coop and they always eat it.

bggoff":2ajdhwm5 said:
Shelled corn is not a good feed choice in my opinion.Its not uncommon for cattle not to eat it.Especially smaller cattle.I feed a 14 % feed from the coop and they always eat it.
My original formula was whole corn, oats and wyatt mixer (feed mill formula) and wet mollasses have never had a problem with cattle eating it. until now two of them kinda eat it, just the sick one doesnt, right now I dont think the sick one will make it anyways, so I went back to the original mix and two of them eat everything I put in there feeder twice a day, thanks for all your help board.
One last question, I have one calf that loves to eat sandy dirt and alot of eat, someone told me that he is probably lacking phospherous? any suggestions on that? if so what would you guys recommend me adding to the feed mix

You need to cut back on the the amount of feed. I would be feeding either alfalfa or grass hay and work them up to about 6 pounds of grain over time. Depending on what your plan is for them I would either hold them there if you'r just wintering them or increase the amount of grain for fattening.

Bobg

well I dont need a new recipe thanks for the suggestions, the picky eater died last night sorry to see him go, thanks for all the posts

Latest posts