Pic.

Help Support CattleToday:

WORANCH

Reaction score
I recieved this in an e-mail today .

DW056_1_.jpg
[/img]

Looks Like a Canebreak Rattlesnake aka Timber Rattlesnake. Definitely a grown one! Would make a mighty fine belt!!!! (Especially if you painted it blue!!!!) :lol: :lol:

Don't talk about snakes. Our snake season is about to start. Seen some on the roads already. Seen a big long brown mongrel at 8.30am the other day going across the road. Been keeping my eyes open for them. We always get a few around our chook (poultry) pens. A neighbour reckons he's seem more browns in the last few weeks than he's seen in 30 years. He can keep them over his side of the hill.They have their place but not at mine. Down on the coast to our east the brown snakes are now the most predominate since a lot of the usually more common red belly blacks are dying when they eat the poisonous cane toad. Which is spreading throughout the warmer wetter areas of Australia. I suspect that I have seen some here,but because of our harsher colder winters they may not survive.
Colin

WORanch, where was that photo taken? I may have to stop walking outside at night. (That is QUITE a photograph!)

Australian Cattleman, do the red belly blacks eat the browns? Between the toads and the poisonous snakes there, I don't think I'd get outside much. Do you have problems with the cattle and these creatures?

Wow !!!!!

Interesting picture. That's a very large smake.

The funny thing is that Jogeephus put out his wildlife camera last night and captured a very similar picture that he emailed to me a few minutes ago. Here is the picture he sent me.

Blue_snake1.jpg

anybody snope's this yet? I don't feel like it...but if anyone else wants to, I'd love to see the outcome.

Alice

Gale, They say that if you have black snakes about you won't have browns. Thats a lot of rot. My wife and I were about to go off to work one afternoon last summer. She called out to me to tell me there was a black snake in the chook pens,I said don't worry there's a big brown down near one of our dogs that was tied up. It was about 50 feet apart. The dog was OK by the way. The snakes seem to mesmerize the hens we have seen.Our country is beautiful and not as dangerous as it seems. A bit of care is needed. Some areas have more snakes then others. Occasionally cattle might die unexpectedly and snakes are often the reason or they get the blame.
Colin

Australian Cattleman":107hlla2 said:
I said don't worry there's a big brown down near one of our dogs that was tied up. Colin

How do you tie up a snake. Has to be tough keeping a collar on them

dun

Colin, very interesting, thank you....bet your dog had some choice words for you (LOL). I found this:

http://www.usyd.edu.au/anaes/venom/snakebite.html

The brown LOOKS harmless...no triangular-shaped head (I thought poisonous snakes had that)...another thing, it seems they lay eggs (and I had heard that poisonous snakes give birth to live young).

I recall a sign on a poisonous snake exhibit: "don't tap on the glass, what would you do if it broke?"

Gale Seddon":31ybmn2j said:
Colin, very interesting, thank you....bet your dog had some choice words for you (LOL). I found this:

http://www.usyd.edu.au/anaes/venom/snakebite.html

The brown LOOKS harmless...no triangular-shaped head (I thought poisonous snakes had that)...another thing, it seems they lay eggs (and I had heard that poisonous snakes give birth to live young).

I recall a sign on a poisonous snake exhibit: "don't tap on the glass, what would you do if it broke?"

Isn't the brown snake the one that causes so much trouble on Guam?

dun

Funny lad Dun. I wouldn't touch a snake. Yes I think browns do give birth to live young. These babies are as venomous if not more than the parents. I have seen them at 1 o'clock in the morning after coming home from work at that time. In summer time I wouldn't trapse around in the dark without a torch. I still haven't seen a snake this season whilst driving about the paddocks. They'd be there.
Colin

sidney411":2lt0tx3l said:
Alice, that pic came from a game camera, notice the Cuddeback imblem at the bottom right side? I bet you could find it on their web site somewhere also. http://www.cuddebackdigital.com They have a photo contest so I bet it came from there.

thanks, sidney...

Van showed it to my 12 year old grandson this weekend. He said "Whoa! Ya' think that's real, gangree? Have ya' snopesed it yet?" I'm afraid I've instilled my "don't believe everything you see" attitude in him. I'll see if I can find that pic on the cuddeback website and let him know there really is a snake that big hangin' with a goofy lookin' bug eyed deer. :)

Alice