Pic of bald calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
Hope this isn't too big, but you may be able to see how thin the hair is, top of the tail is completly bald.

Alan

IMG_0308.jpg

One word comes to mind to treat this......

Rogaine.

Use daily, massage well into the scalp, errrr make that the hide.

(Sorry, I just couldn't resist.)

Alan":1a27o7lr said:
Hope this isn't too big, but you may be able to see how thin the hair is, top of the tail is completly bald.

Alan,

If you are using a registered Herefords, I would have it or it's parents DNA checked for hypotrichosis. AHA has already identified some animals, and specifically some Hereford bulls to be carriers of this defect. The American Hereford Assoc. has a list of the bulls which are carriers. Perhaps one of the bulls is in your lines.

If you don't run registered stock and can't track the bloodlines then I would watch the offspring of that cow or bull closely to see if this passes some more.

The calf also appears to have a light rash under the skin too, so it could be something completely different and you should check with your vet. Was it by chance washed down with some fuel oil or gasoline?

1848":3jk4r7j7 said:
Alan":3jk4r7j7 said:

Alan,

If you are using a registered Herefords, I would have it or it's parents DNA checked for hypotrichosis. AHA has already identified some animals, and specifically some Hereford bulls to be carriers of this defect. The American Hereford Assoc. has a list of the bulls which are carriers. Perhaps one of the bulls is in your lines.

If you don't run registered stock and can't track the bloodlines then I would watch the offspring of that cow or bull closely to see if this passes some more.

The calf also appears to have a light rash under the skin too, so it could be something completely different and you should check with your vet. Was it by chance washed down with some fuel oil or gasoline?

The pic was taken at about 2 hrs old, I noticed the hair at about 45 minutes old.

Victoria":2psa3oy2 said:
Have you checked with a vet about a possible mineral deficiency?

Good suggestion, my cattle most always have a molasses/protein lick tub with minerals in it and everyone gets a Bo-Se and Vit A D shot twice a year. But I have read post on this board about people not liking the protein tubs. I met with alot of Hereford breeders and was able to ask 3 of the long time breeders about Hypotricosis, I don't believe that this calf has it. All 3 said it is very, very rare and that if the calf had it the hair it has would be very kinky. I'm leaning toward a deficiency or a little premature. But I'll still have it tested in a few weeks. I'll have the Vet out first part of next week, calf is strong and as normal as any of the other calves but she is going to be huge... mule like ears and legs that don't quit.

Thanks,
Alan

Hi Alan,
We use the protein tubs too, they work for us. I've found that preemies typically have shorter hair but not bald patches, her hair in the picture seems to be fairly long so I wouldn't think premature.
Let us know what the vet says.

TheBullLady":29b6k1uu said:
It looks like the skin may be irritated.. what about lice? It's that time of year for us in Texas.

The pic was taken at about 2 hrs old, I noticed it at about 45 minutes from birth.

Alan