Pic Idiot in training

Help Support CattleToday:

flaboy-

Reaction score
Well here is my Idiot in training. He is really a spooky horse so I have been working him with various items. He is coming along but working the spook out of him is a tough job.

I have noticed an attitude change in him since I brought Skip home. Skip don't take no crap and actually puts this boy in his place. I had hoped that might happen. It seems some of that attitude adjustment is carrying over into him not being as much of a butthead as he can be. Anyone else experienced this?

This was the day after he first saw the blue tarp. The first day you would have thought it was a bear after him. I have since had him drag it and wear it.

Sontarp.jpg

Put the tarp between him and food and then see how afraid of it he really is....One I had(Arab) discovered packing popcorn came in black plastic bags...He'd come on a run to a flapping plastic bag :lol:

ALACOWMAN":ornirmbt said:
good looking horse there flaboy, who's that ol man with him? do you hang some old milk jugs in his stall about head high? that help's some

Yeah, I should change my handle to flaoldman huh? I keep trying to hang on to my youth though, hense the flaboy :lol:

He don't spend much time in his stall but no, I never thought of that. He is coming around pretty good for a horse that would charge you when you went in the turnout with him. I kinda like this ol boy and even like the challenge I think. :shock:

Stallion? Gelding? Age? Previous handeling?? Chargeing!! No respect for humans..Do be careful.and have either someone or your cellphone handy..

peg4x4":1idsaraw said:
Stallion? Gelding? Age? Previous handeling?? Chargeing!! No respect for humans..Do be careful.and have either someone or your cellphone handy..

Well he was a Stallion when I got him and he was 14 months old at charging time. He is now a gelding and 19 months old. He had just been removed from his home, traveled 6 hours in a trailer, put in a new pasture with no buddies, and had me to look at. :lol: I don't blame him. He is my buddy now though. I just need to get some spook out of him. He did kick me two weeks ago but I kicked him back so we are even.

Idiots a good looking horse, and I can see by his coat very well taking care of.... He has that "hi pro glow". At 19 months don't be in a hurry to get on, let him develope and close his growth plates. But like Alacowman ask, have you had a saddle on him yet?

Oh haven't giving you cr@p latley, your other gelding is a nice looking horse... what color is his hind feet? :D

Alan

ALACOWMAN":18037woa said:
have you saddled him yet?

Saddle?????????????????? Heck it me two hours to get the tarp on him. :lol:

No, I'm in no hurry for a saddle unless you guys think I need to be. I usuall never put a saddle on them until they were about 22 months. Should I get one on him sooner? I wouldn't want to climb on any sooner than 24 months.

Your thoughts?

flaboy-":10l61ooi said:
ALACOWMAN":10l61ooi said:

No, I'm in no hurry for a saddle unless you guys think I need to be. I usuall never put a saddle on them until they were about 22 months. Should I get one on him sooner? I wouldn't want to climb on any sooner than 24 months.

Your thoughts?

It's just something you can do if you're wondering what new I can do. I put a saddle on my gelding at about 14 months, but never too tight with the cinch.

Alan

Alan":a6qwyw7x said:
flaboy-":a6qwyw7x said:
ALACOWMAN":a6qwyw7x said:

Your thoughts?

It's just something you can do if you're wondering what new I can do. I put a saddle on my gelding at about 14 months, but never too tight with the cinch.

Alan

Oh, I have plenty of things to work on. He hates the spray bottle, he initially hates the plastic bag. He hates anything he has never seen before.

Alan":ry3a7nle said:
Oh haven't giving you cr@p latley, your other gelding is a nice looking horse... what color is his hind feet? :D

Alan

Ha, you noticed. Two white feet try him! SO I am trying him. :lol:

I like to saddle them as soon as possible. and leave em tied 1/2 a day or so. hes big and strong enough too now. heck i would even longe him in the round pen. tie your sturrips to each other and and ground work the fool out of him. man it hard too beat round pen workouts. have you ever used drive lines on one?

ALACOWMAN":399e318f said:
I like to saddle them as soon as possible. and leave em tied 1/2 a day or so. hes big and strong enough too now. heck i would even longe him in the round pen. tie your sturrips to each other and and ground work the fool out of him. man it hard too beat round pen workouts. have you ever used drive lines on one?

No, never used drive lines. You need to remember when I was growing up my dad would tell my brother and I which horse had just turned 2 years old. He would say "go catch em and ride em". One of us would hold them while the other somehow got a saddle on. Then the coin toss to see who climbed aboard. After we could stay on we would then start "formal training". A far cry from the way they do it today huh?

we were alot more flexable back then. we would take those idiots out on river bottom land when i was a kid. and let'r rip but after,a broken leg.broken back dislocated elbow twice shoulder twice broken collar bone i take the easy route now ;-)

They are never to young to put under saddle. One friend of mine uses a pony saddle and starts before they are weaned. Course he has nice gentle hand raised mares that you can catch and halter in the pasture. The only way you're going to get a halter on one of mine is to run them into a bucking chute.

Something else you can start doing is getting him used to carrying a bit. Use just a common old ring snaffle and a piece of baling twine. Put it on him and go to town for a couple of hours. After a few days of that he'll quit fussing with it.

Round pens are not for running horses around in circles till their tounges hang out especially young horses. Even a 60' pen puts to much stress on their joints. They are made to allow the handler control without making the horse feel trapped. If you put them in the round pen and then run the heck out of them all you've taught them is to go into the pen and run in circles. Guess what... You just created another job for yourself and sent the wrong message to the horse.

If the colt is 19 months old you have at least 6 months to build a solid foundation with your ground work. If you have that the rest is easy.Z

I have never tried to trine a horse, but with putting milk juggs around head hieght and bugging them so much do you ever drive a horse literaly insane? This is a real question.

No.. one of two things usually happen. Either they just get used to them and ignore them or they figure out it's a new toy. Neither one is a bad thing.Z

Ok guys I put the saddle on him. I thought I would have a fight on my hands but I guess thanks to all the ground work I put into him he stood for me. I had tied a tarp on him a couple times during training exercises so maybe that helped. Whatever it was, he stood for me to put the blanket and saddle on. He only tried walk off once and a firm whoa stopped him in his tracks. You will notice in the picture there is a lead on him but I never touched it the whole time I was strapping him up.

I also rode the new guy this weekend. He needs lot of steering and braking training but he did pretty well other than that.

First saddle up
SonSad2.jpg

Let's do some laps to see what it feels like.
SonSad3.jpg