Phenylbutazone ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I purchased all the used meds at a ranch auction. I can use most of it. A couple odds ones:

- is there a cattle application for phenybutzaone, or is this left over from some horsing around?

- is there any reason you would use a grub pour on, rather than using an ivomec type wormer?

it is a great painkiller but the taste isn't too good it helps to chase it with a good shot of Crown
downside is it thins your blood quite a bit and you can bleed out rather quickly if you take it for prolonged periods of time plus it is hard on your stomach
I always preferred the paste over the pills

Have used it in cattle in the past, and it was good for musculoskeletal problems, like post-calving nerve bruising, etc., with much longer duration than banamine - but, as you've seen, it is now not just 'not approved for use in food-producing animals, but 'prohibited', so I won't use it in anything that will be going to slaughter - ever.
Best to pitch it, rather than run the risk of getting in trouble over illegal residues. Or,if not out of date, pass it on to some horsey-type folks, if they know how to use it correctly.

Had an old-timey physician put me on phenylbutazone tablets for what turned out to be septic arthritis, back in the early 1980s; probably not even in the armamentarium of the typical MD anymore...

We still use it from time to time. Recently had a young cow come up lame. She had been in heat and we think she hurt her hip while breeding.
Started of with a heavy dose then cut back for a few days. We crushed the pills in an old sock then put it on top of her feed, then soaked the powder with corn syrup. It is very bitter.

Latest posts