PH too high??

Help Support CattleToday:

shaz

Reaction score
Got a soil sample back and the PH was 7.78 in one pasture. Assuming there wasn't some anomaly in the test or in my sampling is this too high?? I have fescue and clover.

Stocker Steve":1yhbgrep said:
B&M Farms":1yhbgrep said:
yes. It is too high.

My peat soils are in the low 7s.
Otherwise, high readings are from too shallow sampling after a lime application.

Put lime on in 2008. The PH was 6.1-6.3 as I recall. I did put 2tons of chicken litter on 4 months before I sampled. My samples were from 1-5 inches deep. I used a drill bit.

Could the litter have scewed my results that bad? :???:

By chance did your litter come from an egg house?

I'd pull another sample just to be sure. If it says about the same thing you might want to add some extra sulfur with your next N application.

Jogeephus":1bjtozx0 said:

I'd pull another sample just to be sure. If it says about the same thing you might want to add some extra sulfur with your next N application.
Found that intresting so I googled it up.
Egg layer litter pH 8.1
Broiler litter pH 6.4
Thanks

shaz":25j0etzm said:
Stocker Steve":25j0etzm said:
B&M Farms":25j0etzm said:
yes. It is too high.

My peat soils are in the low 7s.
Otherwise, high readings are from too shallow sampling after a lime application.

Put lime on in 2008. The PH was 6.1-6.3 as I recall. I did put 2tons of chicken litter on 4 months before I sampled. My samples were from 1-5 inches deep. I used a drill bit.

Could the litter have scewed my results that bad? :???:

Sounds like a sampling problem.
Testers assume a 6" sample depth.
If most of the lime is on the top, and you shallow sample, the number will be too high and "wrong".
but a seed right on the surface would agree that you screwed up.

Jogeephus":1jy13m3c said:

I really don't know but by the frequency he cleans his houses (6 weeks or so) I had assumed broiler.

Yeah, I better pull another sample. I really like using litter but was prepared to use Urea & sulfur if I had to.
Thanks

Latest posts