Persistent urachus

Help Support CattleToday:

lithuanian farmer

Reaction score
Had anyone had such thing with their calf and how to deal with it without surgery? Calf won't survive the surgery yet and I'm pretty certain that she has persistent urachus.

They can resolve on their own, but if it's bad enough that you noticed I doubt I would wait for that to happen. I've always just kept them on antibiotics to prevent infection until I was able to do surgery; a week or two at the most.

They can resolve on their own, but if it's bad enough that you noticed I doubt I would wait for that to happen. I've always just kept them on antibiotics to prevent infection until I was able to do surgery; a week or two at the most.
She is just 2 days old now. She was born weak, her dam layed down on her and noticed that she is leaking liquid out of the navel when we brought her home yesterday. She is on antibiotics now. It's uncertain if she will survive, but on top of that such thing appeared... It's the first time when I have even heard about such thing, so doing surgery would be a challenge. And no one around here had ever done that too I believe.

She is just 2 days old now. She was born weak, her dam layed down on her and noticed that she is leaking liquid out of the navel when we brought her home yesterday. She is on antibiotics now. It's uncertain if she will survive, but on top of that such thing appeared... It's the first time when I have even heard about such thing, so doing surgery would be a challenge. And no one around here had ever done that too I believe.
O no. I was afraid it was that calf.

I sure hope it gets better for ya!

Isn't it congenital? And no, I haven't. Sending best of luck but you're also a pro.
It appears to be, but I have never seen it before in nearly 20 years we had cows.
It is a real hard season for all the farmers around here as all kinds of things are happening, alot of misfortune. Could be just a bad year...

It's a fairly straightforward procedure, especially on heifers. Make an elliptical incision around the navel, as you would for a hernia repair. You may have to extend your incision quite a bit to follow the urachus to the bladder. Double ligate the umbilical vessels and ligate the urachus, then you can remove the whole thing. Close up the bladder with an inverting pattern, then close the body wall like you would for any other surgery.

It's a fairly straightforward procedure, especially on heifers. Make an elliptical incision around the navel, as you would for a hernia repair. You may have to extend your incision quite a bit to follow the urachus to the bladder. Double ligate the umbilical vessels and ligate the urachus, then you can remove the whole thing. Close up the bladder with an inverting pattern, then close the body wall like you would for any other surgery.
That's easy for you to say.. ;)

Glad you are back!!!

The fact that u can explain that is amazing to me.
Very nice!

Thank you for a description! If she will get better I will try to perform the procedure.