Perpetual Motion

Help Support CattleToday:

Jalopy

Reaction score
The concept of perpetual motion is intriguing. Usually when my son and I get together we discuss this topic.We both realize the limitations of physics, but I believe the best rendition we have discussed thus far is strapping a piece of buttered and jellied toast face up.on the back of a cat and dropping it from.about 4foot height. This is the starter mechanism, as you know buttered toast always lands face down and cats always land on their feet so it makes since that it will just spin in midair. Anyone else have these deep.discussions?

Sounds reasonable to me. I've always wondered if you turned a flashlight on in a room with all surfaces covered in mirrors if you then could close the mirror door faster than the speed of light would the light continue reflecting for ever. Somehow I think it would.

Jogeephus":hrn897to said:
Sounds reasonable to me. I've always wondered if you turned a flashlight on in a room with all surfaces covered in mirrors if you then could close the mirror door faster than the speed of light would the light continue reflecting for ever. Somehow I think it would.

Jogeephus, if you wore a suit made with mirrored surfaces, even the face, you could stand in the room and see what happens.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Joe, I think you're going to need a vacuum for that. Just seems like all the really cool experiments need one. Probably one those really strong ones like they use at car washes.

I hate to be a doubter, but can you open the door back up quick enough to prove it?

chippie":174aobuq said:
Jogeephus":174aobuq said:

Jogeephus, if you wore a suit made with mirrored surfaces, even the face, you could stand in the room and see what happens.

Shhhhhh, that's top secret.

Edit: Whoa, wrong link.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... erial.html

Workinonit Farm":2uot97p3 said:
"Brothers and sisters have I none, but this man's father, is my father's son."

A little ditty my Dad told me.
It's actually a very very old riddle. The story that goes with it, a man walked out of the police station. A friend asked him who he was visitng. He said I won;t tell you directly, but "Brothers and sisters have I none, but that man's father, is my father's son.".
Who w he visiting?

dun":le2dctwa said:
Workinonit Farm":le2dctwa said:
"Brothers and sisters have I none, but this man's father, is my father's son."

A little ditty my Dad told me.
It's actually a very very old riddle. The story that goes with it, a man walked out of the police station. A friend asked him who he was visitng. He said I won;t tell you directly, but "Brothers and sisters have I none, but that man's father, is my father's son.".
Who w he visiting?

YES!!! That's the rest of it! Thank you for the reminder. I always remember the last part because its so intriguing. Its one of my favorites, gives me a good memory of my Dad. The answer is a good one. ;-)

Jogeephus":o05qiauj said:

Could you remotely turn on a light source in the room and watch thru a 2way mirror?

I've wondered that ever since I was a kid. Don't know how many remember how some department stores had three or four mirrors on the wall for fitting clothes and if you stood just right you could see your reflection repeated umpteen million times. Always thought that was neat. Sortof a small glimpse of infinity.

Jogeephus":1xm76i46 said:
I don't think it would. In time the 2nd law of thermodynamics (entropy) would take over. The energy (light) would degrade into a non-functional state (randomness) and the light would die out.

Jogeephus":mrifwbrt said:
I've wondered that ever since I was a kid. Don't know how many remember how some department stores had three or four mirrors on the wall for fitting clothes and if you stood just right you could see your reflection repeated umpteen million times. Always thought that was neat. Sortof a small glimpse of infinity.
Barber shops you could.do.the same

Ryder":3e1a8ibw said:
Jogeephus":3e1a8ibw said:
I don't think it would. In time the 2nd law of thermodynamics (entropy) would take over. The energy (light) would degrade into a non-functional state (randomness) and the light would die out.

Can't argue that but what about like what was pointed out with the vacuum? Some of the starlight we see is thousands of years old by the time it reaches us. That shyt amazes me. Had I not been such a dumbazz I would have loved to have studied physics.

M5, your right. Forgot about that. Looks like it just goes on for ever.

There's also the bathroom mirrors with the fold-out sides, those work real good too.

I've had a lot of people try to convince me of some newfangled generator that used SUPER strong magnets, and that was the secret behind it... but that doesn't matter, because the harder they pull something toward them, of course the harder it is to put that same thing away from them!
I know they say you can't create energy, so I can't tell you my plans for perpetual motion, sorry, I'd have to patent it first :)

When I was a yonker my mother used to complain that I had discovered perpetual motion.

Jogeephus":xcmiqdnn said:
[

Can't argue that but what about like what was pointed out with the vacuum? Some of the starlight we see is thousands of years old by the time it reaches us. That shyt amazes me. Had I not been such a dumbazz I would have loved to have studied physics.

M5, your right. Forgot about that. Looks like it just goes on for ever.
Ever been watching one and it "went out"?? Guess the last of it finally got here. :lol2:

Jalopy":2zox2h6w said:
The concept of perpetual motion is intriguing. Usually when my son and I get together we discuss this topic.We both realize the limitations of physics, but I believe the best rendition we have discussed thus far is strapping a piece of buttered and jellied toast face up.on the back of a cat and dropping it from.about 4foot height. This is the starter mechanism, as you know buttered toast always lands face down and cats always land on their feet so it makes since that it will just spin in midair. Anyone else have these deep.discussions?
No telling how it will land. Usually putting a strap of anykind around the midsection of a cat disables all abilities to even try to do anything. They'll just lay down...in mid air, I have no idea if he would try to turn or just bust his azz with butter and jelly flying anywhere. Sounds like something you and your son should experiment with and post a Utube video for us ASAP.

Jogeephus":3vgyzc9u said:
They say great minds think alike. Aparently you and I do as well.
I have also wondered if I could use a flashlight to start a solar powered light and in turn use that to start more solar powered lights which would eventually loop around the room to shine on the original solar powered light and keep it running... I'll never know for sure as it seems like for me sobriety and time for exploratory projects like this are a directly inverse relationship.

Latest posts