permenant ert tags

Help Support CattleToday:

herefordlover

Reaction score
Read in a farm paper that they made it a law that u had to start useing them or so i think i read it that way. Hascany ome eles head wether or not it uas be come a law. The rigjt up was really small and not alot of extera info about paper work that might go along with it

All I could find was a blurb about importing cattle into MO needing health papers and their tag number listed on the papers.

Not sure of what is happening south of the 49th,
But legally we have had to RFID ear tag any cow that leaves the property,( even to go to the vet)or is sold, for quite a while, even if branded or tattooed! Don't have to tag them if they stay on the property.
Not uncommon for them to hook them on something and rip them out, and the tags cost about $10 a pop. For the bigger ranches it can cost a fair amount of coin.
The butchers and auctions are supposed to record the movemnent of all animals numbers.
Its a big pain.
Supposed to be a trace back for disease, but the problem is if the cow caught something after sale and off of your property, if it is a reportable sickness, they are going to come back to you and want to slaughter your animals even if they are clean.. :(

Seems a bit much to me. Because with all the food we import with no regulations and guidelines who knows what your eating. More people get sick because of the way food is handled and stored. Sure there's some kind of tax that will have to be paid, and some more government jobs to make sure everyone pays their fair share.

From what I can glean from the rule as posted in the Federal Register:

1. Cattle under 18 months of age are exempt from the official ID requirement unless they are being moved across state lines for a show, exhibition, rodeo, or recreational event

2. Cattle over 18 months of age do not need to have an official ID as long as they are traveling within their state of origin.

3. Brands/tattoos/reg. #'s are still accepted as official ID ONLY if this is acceptable by the receiving state/tribe, otherwise you need a USDA metal tag or RFID

4. Not required if moving directly to an approved slaughter facility.

The only part I am unclear on is this: cattle over 18 months of age going to a market in a different state. They accept back tags for up to three days if they are moved from the point of origin to one facility and then to slaughter, but we all know that cows sent to a market as slaughter cows do not all end up losing their heads, so will these animals need official ID to go to a market if the market I use is in another state?

We had this conversation with our vet, since we had 4 head consigned to our state sale and all of them needed health paper in case someone from out of state bought them. Originally, our vet said he was going to have to come out and tag the cattle, even though we brand and tattoo everything on our place. Then, after a few days, he and several others of us reread it and determined that a permanent tattoo and/or brand would be sufficient and we did not need to tag them. So that is our take on it. I know our sale went off great and none of the cattle had special tags....

It all depends where you are exporting to. For example, Minnesota no longer lists breed tattoos or brands as acceptable forms for official ID, so they would need tags to go there unless being shipped to a market, slaughter, or under 18 months old (if not a dairy breed).

Latest posts