Penn Procaine and horses

Help Support CattleToday:

born2run

Reaction score
Asking this per the request of Milkmaid...

I know the dosages listed on the bottle of pennicillin are too low to really treat anything in cattle, and I'm just curious if
it's the same with horses; that the 1mL/100lbs or whatever it is for penn procaine, is ineffective for fighting an active infection...?

born2run":10zylm6k said:
I know the dosages listed on the bottle of pennicillin are too low to really treat anything in cattle, and I'm just curious if
it's the same with horses; that the 1mL/100lbs or whatever it is for penn procaine, is ineffective for fighting an active infection...?

How do you know this?

To go off label is not recommended unless you carry the veterinarian certificate.

It certainly is not accepted under the rules of our farm status - Quality Starts Here program.

Bez+

Me personally...followed directions per the bottle unless directed otherwise by a vet.

In the case of MM, a horse died where she is currently working. She believed that the dose of Pen they were giving was basically inaffective.

Bez+":2ow400e4 said:
born2run":2ow400e4 said:

How do you know this?

To go off label is not recommended unless you carry the veterinarian certificate.

It certainly is not accepted under the rules of our farm status - Quality Starts Here program.

Bez+

MM is right. I know this from experience, coupled with our vet's statement that it is so.

Latest posts