Pelvis

Help Support CattleToday:

tg

Reaction score
I have a first time heifer that could not deliver, I was at work and a friend pulled it with a tractor. The cow can not get up and may have a dislocated Pelvis I was told. she is eating good and is alert, is there any hope in a cow recovering from this.

Thanks

Although I'm not sure what the problem is I would say recovery is most likely.
If it involves the clavicular-sternal joint, and the injury is not radical she should be fine by morning.
Just let her do her own thing and rest.
If you feel you must do something, give her 12 Aspirins to relax her and reduce any inflammation at the joint.

The folks on the boards here have a saying... "Never let the sun set on a down cow."

Because of a cow's size and weight, nerve damage is very easily caused when they're down for extended periods of time. Also, 1st calvers are prone to problems -- if a heifer were to go down spraddle-legged she could easily break her pelvis, whereas an older, mature cow would be unlikely to suffer the same type of injury.

If you have access to a tractor (which you evidently do) then get a sling or set of hip-lifters on her and get her up. The less time spent down the better. As soon as is possible, I'd give Vitamin B complex to help with nerve damage and cellular restoration, and Dexamethasone or Banamine to help with reducing inflammation and pain.

Best of luck with her.

tg":2qz5hfoi said:
...I was at work and a friend pulled it with a tractor. Thanks

:shock: :shock: You're kidding, right? If you're not kidding, I wouldn't hold out much hope for the cow recovering.

msscamp":2bz4d7vi said:
tg":2bz4d7vi said:
...I was at work and a friend pulled it with a tractor. Thanks

:shock: :shock: You're kidding, right? If you're not kidding, I wouldn't hold out much hope for the cow recovering.

I wish I was kidding msscamp, but he did and damage is done. had a calf puller in barn but he did not know it was there.

I would let your neighbor know not to be around your cattle anymore. 9 times out of 10 that cow would have been better off waiting till you got home from work instead of being pulled with tractor. Plus someone who pulls calves with a tractor isn't knowledgeable to be involved with calving. Good Luck.

I hope you have told your friend not to set foot on your property again. For a cow to be caused this much pain through igorance is inexcusable.

At this time I say you either shoot that cow today or you get the vet out today. It doesn't matter that it is Sunday pay them extra and get them out. The pelvis could be broken if so put her out of her misery. If it is not broken then she may be able to be saved. I wouldn't get any lifters on her until I knew for certain the pelvis is not broken. Normaly after a calving problem where it could be nerve damage that would be my first suggestion but a pull with a tractor isn't normal.

Sir Loin":3cl7dvwp said:
Although I'm not sure what the problem is I would say recovery is most likely.
If it involves the clavicular-sternal joint, and the injury is not radical she should be fine by morning.
Just let her do her own thing and rest.
If you feel you must do something, give her 12 Aspirins to relax her and reduce any inflammation at the joint.

OK, I've taken bovine anatomy and been a vet for over 20 years now, and that makes absolutely no sense. The clavicle is the shoulder blade, the sternum is the bottom of the ribs, and there is no joint between them. Plus, it's at the wrong end of the cow.

If she has a fractured pelvis, she's done. If she's badly crushed the obturator or sciatic nerve, she's likely done. She needs to be rolled every 4 hours or so to minimize muscle damage. She needs effective pain meds, and 12 ASA isn't going to cut it, not even close. Even better, she needs to see a vet and get a proper diagnosis.

Good Luck
V

Re: My previous post.
If it involves the clavicular-sternal joint,

CORRECTION: That should have read "symphysis pubis joints"
I must have had a brain fart yesterday!
Ms. Vicky,Thanks for catching that. I stand corrected.

Relevant Anatomy: The pelvic ring consists of 2 innominate bones connected anteriorly at the symphysis pubis and posteriorly to the sacrum at the SI joints. Anatomically, the pelvis is divided into the false pelvis and the true pelvis. The false pelvis is defined as that portion of the pelvis from the iliac crests superiorly to the pelvic brim inferiorly. The true pelvis is defined from the pelvic brim inferiorly to the pelvic floor.

Re:
"Never let the sun set on a down cow."
I'm a realist, so please let me know when you figure out how to keep the sun from setting.

That's all fine and well, if you only have a few cows, but when you have 500 or more, you will be lucky if you even see them all on a daily basis before the sun sets.

Latest posts