Pelvic measurement

Help Support CattleToday:

tuck

Reaction score
What is an idea pelvic measurement on heifers?

Can you breed to enlarge this # in the offspring, I know if you use a higher birth wt bull the EPD'S #'s will go up but I don't know about this.

Not real scientific but I like a yearling pelvic of arond 170. Down to maybe 168 but generally not over 180. That's an old rule of thumb of na old mentor from years ago but it has served us well over the years.

dun

Is there a specific reason for not going over 180, except for avoiding extremes?

KNERSIE":2d9b70cv said:
Is there a specific reason for not going over 180, except for avoiding extremes?

Bingo! Overly large pelvic measurements usually indicates a cow that will be way to big at maturity. But just like the under 170, if I really like the heifer and her pedigree I may go to 182

to which extent is Pelvic area related to frame size? Surely there must be cattle around that are bendcurvers in this regard? How are bulls pelvic area relate to heifers. Is it worth measuring the bull and what shoul his be?

KNERSIE":2d7iokui said:
to which extent is Pelvic area related to frame size? Surely there must be cattle around that are bendcurvers in this regard? How are bulls pelvic area relate to heifers. Is it worth measuring the bull and what shoul his be?

You would probably have to ultrasound a bull, don;t know for sure, I've never seen pelvic measurements on bulls. Some breeds of cattle supposedly do have larger pelvic openings for there size then others. Jerseys are one I've heard of.

dun

Have to look up some research to back up my statement, but pelvic size and mature frame size are not directly corelated. Will try and find some info to post, but the research i have found disproves the theory of frame and pelvic size. Back to the question on pelvic measurements, I will agree with dun that i try to keep them above 170, 160 will probably work just fine but may want to watch what bull they are used on the first year. I rarely have heifers that are under 175 to 180 and i keep frame 5 angus cross heifers every year. Have had a few as high as 200 to 220.

I have a neighbor who calves 200-500 heifers every year. This is what he told me he has figured out over the years. They need to be at least 160 cm and more importantly.....they need to be from 3 and 1/2 to 5 cm taller then they are wide. He said he would much rather have a hundred to calve that were 160 and taller than wide than a hundred that were 180 and square.

They do pelvic measurements on bulls also. Our bull test used to provide that info but have stopped.
I agree with taller than wide theory.
If you have LIKE cattle (same breed), than, if you solely picked largest pelvic sizes, you would increase your size of your herd.
Granted, a 5 frame heifer can have the same Pelvic meas. as a frame 7, but they are totally different body types.
If you knew the frame size, and you had a heifer with a larger pelvic area - great.

That was my thinking as well. I want to improve the pelvic area of the heifers to as big as staying away from extremes would allow without adding frame. Would a bull with a large pelvic area neccesarily be more ideal? isn't that also related to estrogen and a large pelvic area in a bull means that he had a lower testosterone level whils6t developing?

I don't know, I am asking. I do know that the pelvic area in men is smaller relative to size than women's. I assume the same apply for bulls.

Pelvic size is highly related to yearling weight (.41) and yearling hip height (.57) according to Rice (pilvimeter manafacturer). Measuring bulls is a good way to know what direction your heading as it's about 55% heritable (Ag Extension Edu). Here is some info from a guide I have relating area to calf size in yearling heafers:
600lb heifer:
pelvic area 140 67lb calf
160 76lb calf
180 86lb calf
they have a ratio of area to BW of 2.1

Keep in mind I think the shape is just or more important than the size, a super tall skinny, or super short & fat just don't work.

If you are measuring bulls they are much smaller on pelvic size than heifers so if a yearling bull measures 150 don't think it's bad. 900-1100lb bulls are similar to 650-700lb heifers (Ag Extension Edu).