Pears

Help Support CattleToday:

bggoff

Reaction score
Last year I fed 10 steers chopped up pears for about 3 months and I have never seen cattle do better.They were also running on pasture.Has anyone ever done that I just did it as an experiment and couldn't believe it?

You live in the Hood River Valley? Not enough pears in seven states down here to feed 10 steers for 3 months.

I used to work for an old boy that had a lot of pear and apple trees. He'd shovel the fruit up into a little wagon and haul them out to the cows all the time. Those cows would come like a fire engine when they heard that old wagon coming. They did real well on pasture and fruit. I will say though, especially early in the season, you didn't want to stand too close behind if one of them coughed.

I have a couple of tree's next to my catch pen and they love the dang things,can't hardly get them to come in the pen to eat grain to catch them that time of year

Chuck":5c6yzkii said:
I used to work for an old boy that had a lot of pear and apple trees. He'd shovel the fruit up into a little wagon and haul them out to the cows all the time. Those cows would come like a fire engine when they heard that old wagon coming. They did real well on pasture and fruit.

How about cow U pick?

Cows love em, I think its the texture. We have just a few fruit trees, and always clean up the ground before mowing, during that time the cows will "yell" a the lawn mower everytime it comes out thinking more are coming.
During the early summer they can shoot for distance..

watch the size though, I have heard of people loosing em and have had cows get choked.

MD

Latest posts