Pasturing, and haying rye grass

Help Support CattleToday:

mermill2

Reaction score
Hi, Can someone tell me what is a good stocking rate per acre on rye grass? And how long can rye grass be continuously grazed before moving animals off of pasture? What type of rye grass is good for fall and winter pastures? Is it an annual or perennial? WE live in central Kentucky. Gary

It can be an annual or perenial. You have to graze or cut it at the right time or it gets extremely stemmy. It runs a little later in the fall and earlier in the spring than fescue. But, again you have to graze/cut it before it gets stemmy or you'll get seed heads in the cattle's eyes and unless they get good and hungry they won't eat the stems!!

mermill2":1yuhqjbc said:
Hi, Can someone tell me what is a good stocking rate per acre on rye grass? And how long can rye grass be continuously grazed before moving animals off of pasture? What type of rye grass is good for fall and winter pastures? Is it an annual or perennial? WE live in central Kentucky. Gary

There are several different varieties of Ryegrass. We plant mostly "Gulf" down here. Given plenty of water, nitrogen and other nutrients, we can sometimes run more than 1 head to the acre.

It does better by rotating and not grazing too close.

You will definitely have a lull in growth during the coldest of winter.

I turn the cows in 1st Nov. and the Rygrass is gone dormant down here by end of May.

Most annual varieties are the tall and productive kind. Never seen a perennial ryegrass produce much forage.

Latest posts