Pasture ?

Help Support CattleToday:

charangusman08

Reaction score
Was wondering how to get rid of Canadian Thistles in a pasture? I try bush hogging them off before they go to seed and still come back. Want them gone! HELP!

charangusman08":2kzrtcf2 said:
Was wondering how to get rid of Canadian Thistles in a pasture? I try bush hogging them off before they go to seed and still come back. Want them gone! HELP!
Cut them above the base and spray the rosette that's left will Grazon, Roundup will work but it will kill the stuff around them. They are a 2 year plant. The first year there is the rosette stage that is flat on the ground, the second year they flower. If you spray the rosette stage there won;t be a thistle there next year, except for the seeds that germinate that you haven;t seen yet.

dun":160hskvr said:
charangusman08":160hskvr said:
Cut them above the base and spray the rosette that's left will Grazon, Roundup will work but it will kill the stuff around them. They are a 2 year plant. The first year there is the rosette stage that is flat on the ground, the second year they flower. If you spray the rosette stage there won;t be a thistle there next year, except for the seeds that germinate that you haven;t seen yet.
All four quadtrillion of them.

HDRider":b41enqce said:
dun":b41enqce said:
charangusman08":b41enqce said:
All four quadtrillion of them.
And those that blow in from the neighbors pastures. :mad:

Wait till fall and treat the pasture with 2,4-D. You will knock out the rosettes cheaply. Do it again next fall.

charangusman08":32dprdw9 said:

After 14 years of grazing cattle and sheep in WI, I'd say it will be a constant battle. Chemicals may knock them out for a while, but I am convinced hoof action in wet conditions breaks the sod and/or creates a opening for them. They are in the seed bank. Even with sod bound bluegrass pastures they will appear in time. Sometimes if they get real bad then it is a good excuse to plow/run a grazing annual/ then re-seed to a mix you would like.

I do my best with rotary mower and spot spraying the big bull thistle and cockleburs.

Been on quite a few pasture walks around the state, if you can keep them gone permanently then you are good!

If they are thick as hair on a dogs back then you don't have enough grass growing vigorously in that area, possibly an old hay feeding spot, or its been tilled recently .......possibly a continuous grazing situation. That was the situation I had before going to IRG. Now after three years, there are only a few here and there.
As long as the grass stays grazed short most of the growing season the thistle will always be a problem, the chemical approach will always be an on going thing as there are millions of seeds laying there waiting for an opportunity.

Latest posts