Pasture question

Help Support CattleToday:

3MR

Reaction score
This is a question mostly for those lucky enough to live in the Great State of Oklahoma and Northern Texas.

I have a pasture that is overgrown with weeds in areas. Do you think if I disc it now I will still get some grass regrowth. A similar pasture which was disced early spring is doing great.

No, mostly neglect. This particualr pasture hasnt seen anything close to upkeep in a decade. Its about 23 - 25 acres, maybe 5 of which doesnt thave any grass to speak of. I sprayed part of it about a month ago and its doing great, but that area had grass under the weeds. The area I am thinking of discing doesnt. I usually get the same effect weed wise from discing as I do spraying.

Bermuda and fescue will come back up if the weeds dont choke them out. My oat field which I disced in the spring is becoming a pretty nice bermuda field right now.

I havent ruled out seeding though.

There is also a thing called a Yoemans plough or anything that does the same thing . A chisel type plough set at about a foot spacing 4" or so deep.

By putting "Bat Wings" on the points you cut through the deeper weed roots and this kills them . The root breaking down allows moisture and air to penetrate further down and create lots of microbial activity enhancing your soil .

The basic chisel action opens it up anyway and you get nothing but good!

http://www.soilandhealth.org/01aglibrar ... 25toc.html

3MR":3ibyfv0f said:
No, mostly neglect. This particualr pasture hasnt seen anything close to upkeep in a decade. Its about 23 - 25 acres, maybe 5 of which doesnt thave any grass to speak of. I sprayed part of it about a month ago and its doing great, but that area had grass under the weeds. The area I am thinking of discing doesnt. I usually get the same effect weed wise from discing as I do spraying.

I would consider planting in the area your disk also. We did that to about 40 acres of an 80 acre pasture about 4 years ago, and it did wonders for it. We planted red clover, lespedeza, and fescue.

Yeah, that was the other option. I was trying to decide which was the better and/or cheaper way to go. After discussing it with the county agent, I am going to spray it.

Thanks everybody

Just keep in the back of your mind that there is a seed bank sitting on/in the ground just waiting for an opportunity. Some will be grasses and other good stuff, but it seems that the weeds are more opportunistic and get a jump on the grasses.

CCRanch":124nbcin said:
why don't you spray it. 2-4-d should eliminate the weeds.

I agree. Use some type of broad leaf killer (2-4D or Grazon P+D or ?) to take care of the stuff you don't want. If there's any grass left it will come back since neither one of those products will harm your grass.

Latest posts