Pasture lease 121 acres

Help Support CattleToday:

RPanguscattle

Reaction score
Feller is leasing me 121 acres of pasture/woods id say about 70 acres of pasture other 40 acres are woods with palmettos and pines. He is offering me the property for $5000 a year what do y'all think about this deal? I have them on 100 acres now but grass is NOT so good. Prices down here in south florida are crazy for pastures as everyone wants to be " in the cattle industry ". Id only be putting 27 head on it. please give me opinions, thanks !

RPanguscattle":1b7774ux said:
Feller is leasing me 121 acres of pasture/woods id say about 70 acres of pasture other 40 acres are woods with palmettos and pines. He is offering me the property for $5000 a year what do y'all think about this deal? I have them on 100 acres now but grass is NOT so good. Prices down here in south florida are crazy for pastures as everyone wants to be " in the cattle industry ". Id only be putting 27 head on it. please give me opinions, thanks !
That's $185 a head....gonna put a dent in your profits.

TexasBred":1d4ykrqq said:
RPanguscattle":1d4ykrqq said:
That's $185 a head....gonna put a dent in your profits.

Hey Texasbred what would be a decent price per head? please let me know as I am going to meet him shortly. I was considering offering him $165 per head?? Thanks!!

Unless I punched a number wrong, that's over $70.00 per acre for the 70 usable acres per year. I don't see how you could make money like that, maybe you know something I don't.

RPanguscattle":1v50lsop said:
Hey Texasbred what would be a decent price per head? please let me know as I am going to meet him shortly. I was considering offering him $165 per head?? Thanks!!

RP I have no idea as there is little land around here that people will lease for grazing. Old rate use to be around $25 per acre but that's been a while.

Depends on the grazing season and how long you can sustain 27 cows on it. If you can keep them there for $1/day that's pretty cheap rent compared to our area.

Just signed a lease last week... $100 per head per year. Talking about leasing land by the acre is useless because stocking rates can vary so much from person to person.

I won't lease by the acre. They can call it by the acre but I am still going to calculate the amount of head the property can hold comfortably through a drought, times it by $100 per head, and then divide by the acreage. It is what it is. Take it or leave it.

If Im going to loose money on purpose its going to be fishing or on strippers... not in the cattle business. ;-)

Latest posts