Pasture Improvement

Help Support CattleToday:

CopeMan

Reaction score
Does anyone in and around my area on here know what would be a good grass to add to a pasture for grazing in my area? It is just a normal fescue type field grass. I live in East Tennessee. So could anyone from the Tennesse, North Carolina, Virginia, or Kentucky area fill me in?

I would think that orchard grass would do well on that end of the state. It likes a cooler type climate. It does well in West Tennesee, and we are hotter. As long as you don't over graze it, it sticks around for a long time. It has more nutrients than bermuda and fescue.

Thanks, I know alot of people have it in there hay fields around here I didint know how it was for grazing

Johnsongrass and other members of the sorghum family can get prussic acid. This compound is very similar to cyanide. It occurs to these species if they become drought stressed and then get some rain and a quick burst of growth AND the new regrowth after it has been frosted and not killed in the fall. It usually dissapates in about 2 weeks.

With the dry weather nitrate poisoning is becoming a problem. Here is a link for more information:

http://forages.tamu.edu/PDF/nitrate.pdf

Pray for rain, we need it in northeast Texas.

Latest posts