Pasture Grass

Help Support CattleToday:

Flying G

Reaction score
Given the choices we have today, if you were wanting to plant grass to cut for hay and graze in the black land of Texas, what would you plant? I would also like to add that I put low cost, and low maintance cost very high on my list. Is bermuda the only way to go? Opinions appreciated.

CCRanch":2yut2ezr said:
Pensacola Bahaia
Just planted some Kliengrass on some of my tilled ground...I'm going for less input costs....fertilizer and seed the main target, spill over from that includes fuel and tillage costs.

The other grass I considered was WW B Dahl.

Thanks for the replies. What kind of price per acre are we talking for the Bahia grass and te Klein grass? I was thinking Bahia prior to my post but reading the Klein grass information was interesting. I'm going to try and read a good bit more on each.
Matt

Don't forget to compare tons per acre produced, average daily gains on each grass, and fertilizer base requirements also.

Think twice about bermuda, in Central or West Texas unless you can irrigate it. Lots of people are planting Klien, Wilman Love or W.W. B Dahl around here because their Coastal and Tifton died last year in the drought. We used to plant haygrazer until it got outrageously costly to produce. Then we planted everything in Klien and Willman Love grass, has been the best thing that we have done. It doesn't take near the fertilizer or water that Bermuda does. Bahaia is good for grazing and hay, gets stems like baling wire when it heads out though.
I just planted about 10 more acres of Wilman Love, would have mixed klien with it but all the seed dealers were out of klien. Plant about 2 to 3 pounds per acre, it will cost 12$ per pound which is 24 to 36$ per acre for seed, seems high but once you get it established you will never have to do any thing to it exept spray the weeds and fertilize it.

Disk your ground up really well then broadcast the seed out (it is tiny, smaller than #8 bird shot) drag it or roller pack it, don't get it too deep, no more than1/4 inch or it won't come up.

Cattle love it and it will make 2-3 bales per acre.

not wanting to hijack but
calfbuyer
i had a place a while back that had morpa lovegrass, the name derived from "more palatable" and the only time the cows would eat it was when it was lush in the spring.
when it dried out in the summer it got tough and they wouldn't touch it.
is wilman better ?

Wilman is the only kind of love grass you should plant. I have heard horror stories about all of the others. Exactly what you are saying, cattle wont eat it after it heads out. Wilman will put out a stem and big seed head but there is a lot of real good grass under neath it.

Latest posts