Parentage Verification

Help Support CattleToday:

certherfbeef

Reaction score
This was in the Hereford e-mail newsletter. Since I just reactivated my account, I hadn't heard about this. Anyone want to fill me in? What brought this on?

AHA Parentage Verification Reminder

Beginning Dec. 1 every 250th calf born from artificial insemination (AI) or embryo transfer (ET) will be parentage verified. This will happen at the expense of the AHA and will be required before the calf can be registered.

I also just got my first Hereford World in a few years.
Am I the only one that was not at all impressed with the cattle advertised?

certherfbeef":1lgm2bzs said:
This was in the Hereford e-mail newsletter. Since I just reactivated my account, I hadn't heard about this. Anyone want to fill me in? What brought this on?

Beginning Dec. 1 every 250th calf born from artificial insemination (AI) or embryo transfer (ET) will be parentage verified. This will happen at the expense of the AHA and will be required before the calf can be registered.

Parentage Verification makes people pay attention to their records and prevents trainwrecks in the future.

The Char association (I'm sure others do too) makes each AI bull be DNA typed and is on file. Used to be that every 50th ET calf had to be verified. I think AI calves are confirmed randomly. Keeping us on our toes is a good thing!

Along with the intentional mistake, I've seen several sire identification problems from large breeders calving early. Lots of cows grab the first calf they come to after calving. If there's more than one sire group in the pen, legitimate mistakes happen. I don't guess this would catch that but it puts a level of checks in the AI sired calves so maybe we'll all be more careful. Lots of national sales where they have to prove parentage have calves switch sires and occasionally they switch dams. It's never happened to me and I've always known what mine are out of but it still makes me nervous every time I type one.

certherfbeef":2hclmar3 said:

I agree that I would like to see every 50th or 100th calf tested.

I have recieved the Hereford World for a while and I too was not impressed with what they had for sale in the mag. Although the Bull on the back cover caught my eye. I just posted a thread on him trying to get some info on how he does.

Alan

Curious is there any way to find out what Bull your Cow is out of since most of these breeds have DNA. I have a suppose to be PB Maine cow, but have no idea who she is out of. Did not get any papers on her. Curiosity would make me spend a little to find out if possible.

aplusmnt":2qw4fs84 said:
Curious is there any way to find out what Bull your Cow is out of since most of these breeds have DNA. I have a suppose to be PB Maine cow, but have no idea who she is out of. Did not get any papers on her. Curiosity would make me spend a little to find out if possible.

The Maine registry is run by the Charolais association now. I'm pretty sure. Since they use UC Davis for DNA, you might contact them and ask if you can send tail hairs to the lab and they might be able to do a cross-reference of some sort. It would cost at least $35-$40 bucks.

Never know til you ask.

Correction: The Chars don't run the Assoc. they only keep the data. But they both still use UC Davis.

MikeC":j80jmw6o said:
aplusmnt":j80jmw6o said:

The Maine registry is run by the Charolais association now. I'm pretty sure. Since they use UC Davis for DNA, you might contact them and ask if you can send tail hairs to the lab and they might be able to do a cross-reference of some sort. It would cost at least $35-$40 bucks.

Never know til you ask.

Thanks for the Info, I give them call. I would pay $40.00 just to settle my curiosity.

It is a good practice to get into especially for the Pure Bred world. We test every herd bull prospect we buy. We have had three bulls that we purchased in the last ten years that were out of something different. It usually gets straightened out by the time we register the offspring but it sure is interesting.

have a cold one

lazy ace

lazy ace":385qg1cm said:
It is a good practice to get into especially for the Pure Bred world. We test every herd bull prospect we buy. We have had three bulls that we purchased in the last ten years that were out of something different. It usually gets straightened out by the time we register the offspring but it sure is interesting.

have a cold one

lazy ace

A statement made by L. P. McCann in his book, "The Battle of Bull Runts":

"Poor fences, bad gates, lax management, incomplete or careless records and other human errors are responsible for about five percent (5%) error in the pedigrees of registered livestock, according to geneticists in the field of animal science."

Assuming that's true, take that error and compound it by generations, it means that virtually no pedigree would be 100% accurate.

George

I agree and I'm not saying that there was any foul play involved but when all you have to do is send in a straw of semen for the DNA to be on file it saves a lot of hassle in the long run.

have a cold one

lazy ace

so, if I have an angus heifer calf, out of my reg. angus cow, but from one of the neighbors reg. angus bulls (unsure which one), I can send hair from the calf , and her dam, and they can tell me what bull she is from. (bad fences is a contributing factor to this problem :roll: )

joe":34atjyp6 said:
so, if I have an angus heifer calf, out of my reg. angus cow, but from one of the neighbors reg. angus bulls (unsure which one), I can send hair from the calf , and her dam, and they can tell me what bull she is from. (bad fences is a contributing factor to this problem :roll: )

It's possible? if the bull has a DNA type on file. He probably won't if he has not been an AI bull.

Usually the parentage verification works like this. You send hairs from the calf and they can tell you whether the bull you THINK "IS" the parent or "IS NOT" the parent.

I don't know for sure if they can access the whole entire angus database for a match though.

MikeC":q7hfgi7l said:
joe":q7hfgi7l said:

It's possible? if the bull has a DNA type on file. He probably won't if he has not been an AI bull.

Usually the parentage verification works like this. You send hairs from the calf and they can tell you whether the bull you THINK "IS" the parent or "IS NOT" the parent.

I don't know for sure if they can access the whole entire angus database for a match though.

If his DNA is on file they can. They like to have all parties involved on file to make sure. Not this see who we can eliminate game. That a new part as far as I understand about keeping the breed truer.

I know this is somewhat off the point, but thought it might be interesting.

I recently got asked by the South African Hereford breeders Association to send in tail hairs of 10 cattle from my herd, each identified with the registration number etc. According to the SAHBA this was a worldwide request from the World Hereford council that each country's Breed association randomly nominate x amount of breeders to send in hair for testing the purity of the breed in various countries. This is part of a doctorate research project for someone either in NZ or Aus and the results will be revealed at the next World Hereford conference next year sometime.

Has any of the hereford breeders on the forum been contacted?

KNERSIE":2zcvroq1 said:

I recently got asked by the South African Hereford breeders Association to send in tail hairs of 10 cattle from my herd, each identified with the registration number etc. According to the SAHBA this was a worldwide request from the World Hereford council that each country's Breed association randomly nominate x amount of breeders to send in hair for testing the purity of the breed in various countries. This is part of a doctorate research project for someone either in NZ or Aus and the results will be revealed at the next World Hereford conference next year sometime.

That sounds all noble BUT, if the person that was asked to send in the DNA gets to choose which animals they take samples from...well, that kinda defeates the purpose.

You can type any of my registered herefords. I havn't messed with the papers any but I do have a few green papered cows. I'd bet folding money that they are the first to be typed out of the herd, just because.

I think the random verification is good. But like was mentioned before...I like the 100 number instead of the 250.

certherfbeef":3hq8q074 said:
KNERSIE":3hq8q074 said:

That sounds all noble BUT, if the person that was asked to send in the DNA gets to choose which animals they take samples from...well, that kinda defeates the purpose.

You can type any of my registered herefords. I havn't messed with the papers any but I do have a few green papered cows. I'd bet folding money that they are the first to be typed out of the herd, just because.

I think the random verification is good. But like was mentioned before...I like the 100 number instead of the 250.

What are green papered cows? Just pedigree in question? Can you register the calves? Just curious. JHH

Latest posts