Painful Urination??

Help Support CattleToday:

Shorthorn

Reaction score
I noticed this morning while grooming our bull that he was having what seemed to be painful urination. He was letting out small streams of urine while switching his tail with fury and stomping his back legs. He did eventually let out a full steam but contributed with the commotion during and even a few seconds after. He generally raises his tail and looks very relaxed when he urinates. Any suggestions?

I'd certainly have a good look at his diet (esp calcium/phosphorus ratio - what is he eating?), probably get an ultrasound done of his bladder - my first concern would be urolithiasis/kidney/bladder stones - if so, if it's not addressed ASAP you'll be looking at salvage surgery with a typical 30% success rate to have him peeing out the back end.

So, our vet had me watching for urine streams yesterday morning. He is producing streams but seems to be painful. But definitely not a blockage. I collected a sample yesterday afternoon and he gave us a tube of banamine. He thinks probably a urinary tract infection. Praise GOD, much better than stones!

UTIs are often easier to deal with but pretty uncommon in cattle vs dogs/cats (I've only seen one, in a heifer calf), so I'd worry about other underlying factors (e.g. stones). UTIs can ascend to the kidneys in cattle and create all kinds of fun pathology for veterinarians (not good for the animal or owner). The best option would be to see what's in the urine before making treatment choices (e.g. antibiotics, oral urine-acidifying agents such as ammonium chloride - I don't know offhand how this is sold for animal use), but I'd definitely be more proactive on this one than banamine. Just FYI.

I've done a couple waterbelly surgeries (100% success at the moment) and looked at the wrecks of several others, definitely not something to take lightly.

The test actually came back negative for urinary tract and stones/minerals. His symptoms are improving greatly! They are going to do a blood test just to check him out. He has continued to eat and act normal other than when he's peeing..... Thanks for the info :)

Latest posts