Paddock sizes

Help Support CattleToday:

Keep the comments coming guys. There is a lot of knowledge that is being spread here. Thanks for all reply's. They are greatly appreciated and if someone new like me starts to google this will even pop up and new members could join the site.

Keep the comments coming guys. There is a lot of knowledge that is being spread here. Thanks for all reply's. They are greatly appreciated and if someone new like me starts to google this will even pop up and new members could join the site.
That's my motivation. I know there are far more spectators than there are members.

That's what helped me decide to try some different things.

Loving the commentary, you all.

I found this good review of studies on LinkedIn of all places (I despise the self-promoting, self-righteous culture there) and while its targeted at carbon farmers it nicely summarizes recent research.
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/part-4-science-around-rotational-grazing-carbon-nicole-buckley-biggs
Good article. The clincher in it for me was what I already have learned from experience. During a drought you can lose as much carbon (OM) that you gained in multiple years. And in a relative warm winter climate area here in the SE USA it is even more pronounced.

LOL - I am really old school. Carbon in the soil??? Don't know a thing about it. I just use common sense and my eyeballs to keep good nourishment in front of my cows. Must be doing something right. Cows look good! Calves look really good!
Sometimes my cows are on a section for 1 day - sometimes 5 days. Depends on the field, time of year, and if I'm going to be gone for a few days!

@Ebenezer Do you test regularly? So does drought lower carbon because plants stop producing but microbes keep on eating?

@Jeanne - Simme Valley isn't carbon more of an issue in the south? I remember visiting a farm in western NY state, such rich dark loamy soil. I know clay holds more carbon than loamy or sandy soil. But NY freezes up for the winter. We graze in Virginia through the entire year.

Last edited:
The soil temps rise and the microbes eat up the OM/carbon. Carbon is a big deal now in agriculture. Even timber production can be linked to it for outside payments for sequestering carbon. Funny thing is that it is SO important but still a lot of smoke and mirrors. The folks who consistently increase OM and depths of OM in this region are dosing heavily with inputs like chicken litter, wood ash and such. If the improvements are there because of annual inputs it is not always cheap or sustainable. But it is marketable.

Latest posts