Paddock sizes

Help Support CattleToday:

Its dry here too but cows are fat and calves are growing.

Now last years fall born calves were poor on insufficient stockpile (and other issues)
We had no stockpile worth mentioning either. Was all warm season stuff that normally would have been mowed off in August. Glad I didn't clip it though. Hay was pretty low quality as well.

I took some 10 - 11 month calves last weekend and they weighed 565 pounds. All grass though. I'm thinking a little feed would pay for itself right now.

I sure hope we get rains this fall, but I wonder if my fescue stand isn't half gone now. Considering planting an annual mix. Hate to waste that money though.

When these cow prices get right, I want to let most of mine go except for 2 families and start over. Started with 2 in 2016 and have made some questionable picks for replacements. Lol. Most are good cows though I will say. Just needed to find my direction in all of this.

All in all I'm just happy to have calves to sell. I am pretty sure my problem has been grazing mature forages at times of high precipitation.

With the grass short due to lack of rain, everything is tender and powerful it would appear. I think I need to try to keep things vegetative. Maybe cut hay on those sections that get ahead of me in good years, or just clip em and let rot back into the ground. The calves are really growing that are grazing the shorter stuff. Planning to get scales here soon and compare growth rates on the two different groups that have been managed differently. One moved couple times aa day, the other moved every 3 or 4 days. Has me curious.

It's all a learning process and I like to learn.
When I got a set of scales it was a real eye opener !
Not only was the ADG better than I thought, (on most) but I get to weigh them on the way to harvest and I think that's important.
Every time they go through the chute they automatically get weighed.
I keep a close watch on the weights and I think all cattle get weighed at least three times a year unless they are Calvs they get weighed more.

When I got a set of scales it was a real eye opener !
Not only was the ADG better than I thought, (on most) but I get to weigh them on the way to harvest and I think that's important.
Every time they go through the chute they automatically get weighed.
I keep a close watch on the weights and I think all cattle get weighed at least three times a year unless they are Calvs they get weighed more.
That's what I'm needing to a T.

When these cow prices get right, I want to let most of mine go except for 2 families and start over. Started with 2 in 2016 and have made some questionable picks for replacements.

All in all I'm just happy to have calves to sell. I am pretty sure my problem has been grazing mature forages at times of high precipitation.

I was going to respond with that, "learning", and you said it. That's the best thing about the ranch/farm life. Whether its learning to pay attention to the cows or grasses, and even the wildlife to tell you something useful. And then we get old and by then we realize how much more we could learn. What a privilege...

Its a bit humbling to write this but we sold our fall calves this April averaging 440 pounds. I was also quite sick for in November and December and recovering the rest of the winter. Calves didn't get worked in November and failed to get enough hay unrolled or cattle moved on a timely basis on winter stockpile. Still processing these lessons...

There are success stories like this, but what is never discussed is the number of failures for each success and how many times the attempt failed before success was finally achieved. I am not familiar with this presentation, but I have seen other presentations like this that fail to mention all the ugly details that accompany the 'success'. I am not saying this isn't a success, but I don't believe in 'magic bullets' either. Every operation is different. I know the concept supposedly doesn't depend on actual animal numbers, but there are ALWAYS more animals in any one of the pictures shown than any producer I work with.
This video goes into more detail, Johannes' work has been replicated not only throughout southern Africa, but in Australia, the USA, Mexico, several South American countries, UK and several Mediterranean countries - https://sangacattle.webs.com/apps/videos/videos/show/18906811-sustainable-ranching

This video goes into more detail, Johannes' work has been replicated not only throughout southern Africa, but in Australia, the USA, Mexico, several South American countries, UK and several Mediterranean countries - https://sangacattle.webs.com/apps/videos/videos/show/18906811-sustainable-ranching
It was WAY too familiar, I couldn't quite place it though. After about the second sentence he spoke on the video when he said the name 'Alan Savory', that was all it took. Johannes is a disciple of Savory. I think Savory has some good/very good ideas and concepts. The problem is, and for whatever reason people that can figure out and come up with wonderful ideas, at the same time, don't pay any attention to scientific facts and do everything in their power to hide their failures and shortcomings. These systems that they tout are often so far under water financially that no producer could ever be able to accomplish what these systems claim and be profitable. The persist/exist because supporters of these systems contribute millions to see them advocated for and supplement the systems virtually every step of the way. These are not viable, self sustaining operations. There are some good things within these systems, but the systems are anything but transparent and are nothing I would try, in spite of what it looks like on the surface.

It was WAY too familiar, I couldn't quite place it though. After about the second sentence he spoke on the video when he said the name 'Alan Savory', that was all it took. Johannes is a disciple of Savory. I think Savory has some good/very good ideas and concepts. The problem is, and for whatever reason people that can figure out and come up with wonderful ideas, at the same time, don't pay any attention to scientific facts and do everything in their power to hide their failures and shortcomings. These systems that they tout are often so far under water financially that no producer could ever be able to accomplish what these systems claim and be profitable. The persist/exist because supporters of these systems contribute millions to see them advocated for and supplement the systems virtually every step of the way. These are not viable, self sustaining operations. There are some good things within these systems, but the systems are anything but transparent and are nothing I would try, in spite of what it looks like on the surface.
Ya know... I've been rotating pastures since learning about it in college in the early seventies. Finding ways to do it better. Light reseeding, stacking animals in trouble spots, weeding without chemicals, yada, yada, yada... Lo and behold, I found out about Alan Savory and his work only about a decade ago and in looking at it... I find he's doing a lot of what I found out to be cost effective. Not sure what he does that you find not viable. I think a lot of people expect cookie cutter solutions for problems that need tweaking for specific issues. I'd expect most of his best results have been very specific to the areas and conditions. That doesn't mean his "in general" ideas don't work well.

When these cow prices get right, I want to let most of mine go except for 2 families and start over. Started with 2 in 2016 and have made some questionable picks for replacements. Lol. Most are good cows though I will say. Just needed to find my direction in all of this.

With the grass short due to lack of rain, everything is tender and powerful it would appear. I think I need to try to keep things vegetative. Maybe cut hay on those sections that get ahead of me in good years, or just clip em and let rot back into the ground. The calves are really growing that are grazing the shorter stuff. Planning to get scales here soon and compare growth rates on the two different groups that have been managed differently. One moved couple times aa day, the other moved every 3 or 4 days. Has me curious.

A set of scales is what got me into this predicament. Once I started measuring I wanted to get better and better and still better. I am now working on getting the tail end of my calves up closer to the top end, having a tighter calving interval (fertility) will help with this. One thing about where I am now is that I have no shortage of quality replacements so I don't fall in love with any. If they fall out of line with what I want calving wise or calf weaning weights then they go.

Ken

Mark without watching the video what specifically doesn't work? I do know that there is a cottage industry selling grazing to monied environmentalists and prospective farmers. And many cults with their groupies.

Travlr I am with you on observation. I'm currently stuck on the problem of cows eating some grasses into the ground. Conventional wisdom is that it doesn't matter but sure seems to me to be punishing the good and encouraging the wicked.

Probably the biggest problem with Savory is that results aren't repeatable most of the time when what Savory claims he has accomplished is tried to be repeated. Savory does have many concepts that work, but he also has many concepts that don't work. He uses and advocates a holistic approach to problems. However, when he evaluates results of the application of his holistic management approach, he then picks and chooses components and does not apply the holistic approach he advocates.

"Cattle that grazed according to Savory's method needed expensive supplemental feed, became stressed and fatigued, and lost enough weight to compromise the profitability of their meat."

I've said it a few times now that Savory has some valid ideas, but I've also said I don't believe in "magic bullets". No two operations are the same and I don't take a cookie cutter approach to solutions. I find myself questioning if Savory is taking a cookie cutter approach with his solutions.

Probably the biggest problem with Savory is that results aren't repeatable most of the time when what Savory claims he has accomplished is tried to be repeated. Savory does have many concepts that work, but he also has many concepts that don't work. He uses and advocates a holistic approach to problems. However, when he evaluates results of the application of his holistic management approach, he then picks and chooses components and does not apply the holistic approach he advocates.

"Cattle that grazed according to Savory's method needed expensive supplemental feed, became stressed and fatigued, and lost enough weight to compromise the profitability of their meat."

I've said it a few times now that Savory has some valid ideas, but I've also said I don't believe in "magic bullets". No two operations are the same and I don't take a cookie cutter approach to solutions. I find myself questioning if Savory is taking a cookie cutter approach with his solutions.
So as I said, "people expect cookie cutter solutions for problems that need tweaking for specific issues."

It's hard to get people to understand the nuances behind what it takes to solve a problem when they are indoctrinated into taking a pill to solve everything... knowing nothing about what it takes to develop the pill or what the side effects are, or even if the pill will work for other problems they don't even have. Nature isn't something that can be managed easily but a lot of people think simple solutions should work universally.

Merely an opinion: rotational grazing of any sort is going to protect the forage and possibly add carrying capacity. It is not fully set up to add weight to calves. If you want to add weight to your calves ASAP, provide more water locations and more trough space for the herds. If you want more calf weight there are other ways to do that but in lower increments of gain or with a longer timeframe. Rotational grazing will let you carry more cattle further into a drought. I do not think that most systems allow enough rest to break parasite cycles unless you go so long on regrazing times that you hurt animal performance by forcing them to eat overly mature forage. Tight areas (high animal pounds per acre) favor the lead animals and the larger ones. Lesser classes will suffer in those systems. That is often not told.

Most writers, speakers, gurus and such on forage management and livestock selection will carve out a nitch for themselves. It is not like a singer who has a specific sound or type of music. It is the same old stuff (soil, climate, forage, livestock, people inputs) that needs to get attention so they find ways to herd their followers into a separate group. Much of the effort to gain a spot on the soapbox comes with harm to the followers. My wonder: if they are so good at livestock management, as a professor or whatever - why do they need other folks' money and loyalty since they can be so successful with their self-noted talents? We have come a long way from extension folks and educators who generally worked for the greater good. The great ones have been few and far between but left great tracks.

The separation of groups in agriculture, from whatever pressure, is not good for the industry. I know that there is good and bad in all. But like the CAB being successful but casting doubt on beef from any other breed or hide color, it is divisive at best and damages the beef industry with winners because of coat color and losers because of public perception and ad campaigns. We are to an age where meat grading should be able to tell the quality of a carcass and if you want the best do tenderness testing to assure of the quality regardless of hide color or breed. You never hear anyone wondering about the feather color of their broiler parts.

I was looking for specific items that Savory recommends that you find unworkable. To start I struggle to understand where HPG differs from MIG or rational grazing. They both appear to favor high density and a distributed stockpile. HPG is so vague and includes concepts like social impact, which to me is outside the scope of discussion. HPG appears to target so-called brittle areas that receive little rainfall. The question boils down to this - does moving cattle (not continuous grazing) in arid environments have a positive impact on plant cover and quality of forage? Its not an environment that I operate in, except that seems to be the case for the last few years unfortunately.

Savory also operates on a much different plane than I do and likely most everyone else on this forum. I work a decent job, farm, have a family and keep to a small circle of friends. I don't have a lot of money or connections, don't engage with media, and have no connection to British aristocracy. He seems quite foreign to me. I do go to various pasture walks as I like visiting farms. There are a number of types of people there: extension agents, conservation agents, environmentalists, and farmers. Farmers are usually the minority. Its plainly obvious who has money and who doesn't based on the car they drive and clothes they wear. When I first started attending I wondered who those "other" people were, and didn't realize what the game was. A farmer can supplement their income very nicely with environmental practices, and locally there is now pushback from cattle farming into crops or re-wilding. The biggest fish are the wealthy land-owners who rent out land, the loser being the farmer. So perhaps there is some virtue to Savory in convincing rich people that their land shouldn't revert to some game park or such.

All that aside Mark, I want to question why you appear to have such a visceral reaction to the ideas Savory promotes. I can understand debating ideas that he promotes. I can understand a distaste for those of differing politics. And I can certainly understand the argument that he is promoting himself more than his ideas. Nonetheless he does advocate for animal agriculture and for using cattle to graze and to graze in very marginal environments. You pulled out a reference from the Sierra Club, who are ignorant about farming and advocate for "personal dietary choices that minimize or eliminate meat and animal products" (https://www.sierraclub.org/policy/agriculture/food). I found that surprising.

Last edited:
Johann actually developed the high density grazing system now used in the Holistic grazing program, during the 70's people in different countries were trialing grazing systems with varying degrees of success. Allan Savory was approaching the problem of degradation in the national parks as a biologist, and condemned livestcok as being the cause of this degradation, and recommended ranchers go to venison production instead. Johann comes from generations of cattlemen, and is still a "boots on the ground" rancher, despite being offered a leading position on Prof Bonsmas' team in South Africa, but instead, has continued his work in genetics on commercial ranches. After a short period of working with Allan (fellow countrymen so not too strange) they went their separate ways, as Johann is a cattleman, and Allan went down the environment pathway. We all grew up together and served in the army but no one in our community could be considered "disciple" of aby of the other practitoners, the main emphasis of the video is on selecting adapted genetics - Johann's area of expertise, with the high density grazing being in support of the best way to manage this phenotype.

Johann actually developed the high density grazing system now used in the Holistic grazing program, during the 70's people in different countries were trialing grazing systems with varying degrees of success. Allan Savory was approaching the problem of degradation in the national parks as a biologist, and condemned livestcok as being the cause of this degradation, and recommended ranchers go to venison production instead. Johann comes from generations of cattlemen, and is still a "boots on the ground" rancher, despite being offered a leading position on Prof Bonsmas' team in South Africa, but instead, has continued his work in genetics on commercial ranches. After a short period of working with Allan (fellow countrymen so not too strange) they went their separate ways, as Johann is a cattleman, and Allan went down the environment pathway. We all grew up together and served in the army but no one in our community could be considered "disciple" of aby of the other practitoners, the main emphasis of the video is on selecting adapted genetics - Johann's area of expertise, with the high density grazing being in support of the best way to manage this phenotype.
I really don't see any good livestock producer/cattleman as being separated from environmental concerns. The best are both environmentalists and cattlemen.

I was looking for specific items that Savory recommends that you find unworkable. To start I struggle to understand where HPG differs from MIG or rational grazing. They both appear to favor high density and a distributed stockpile. HPG is so vague and includes concepts like social impact, which to me is outside the scope of discussion. HPG appears to target so-called brittle areas that receive little rainfall. The question boils down to this - does moving cattle (not continuous grazing) in arid environments have a positive impact on plant cover and quality of forage? Its not an environment that I operate in, except that seems to be the case for the last few years unfortunately.

Savory also operates on a much different plane than I do and likely most everyone else on this forum. I work a decent job, farm, have a family and keep to a small circle of friends. I don't have a lot of money or connections, don't engage with media, and have no connection to British aristocracy. He seems quite foreign to me. I do go to various pasture walks as I like visiting farms. There are a number of types of people there: extension agents, conservation agents, environmentalists, and farmers. Farmers are usually the minority. Its plainly obvious who has money and who doesn't based on the car they drive and clothes they wear. When I first started attending I wondered who those "other" people were, and didn't realize what the game was. A farmer can supplement their income very nicely with environmental practices, and locally there is now pushback from cattle farming into crops or re-wilding. The biggest fish are the wealthy land-owners who rent out land, the loser being the farmer. So perhaps there is some virtue to Savory in convincing rich people that their land shouldn't revert to some game park or such.

All that aside Mark, I want to question why you appear to have such a visceral reaction to the ideas Savory promotes. I can understand debating ideas that he promotes. I can understand a distaste for those of differing politics. And I can certainly understand the argument that he is promoting himself more than his ideas. Nonetheless he does advocate for animal agriculture and for using cattle to graze and to graze in very marginal environments. You pulled out a reference from the Sierra Club, who are ignorant about farming and advocate for "personal dietary choices that minimize or eliminate meat and animal products" (https://www.sierraclub.org/policy/agriculture/food). I found that surprising.
Planned rotation definitely work in arid environments, and farmers here in the UK are increasing production on highly productive pastures, using the same principles, but far different timing. Allan has never been rich, having worked as a game department biologist, army officer, politician (old style medium salary) and a grazing consultant which was the best paid job. His present income is from consultant work and workshops. nothing from the charity, other than Prince Charles mentioning him in a video, he has no connection with "royalty" outside of working with ranchers and farmers (Gabe Brown is an Holistic practitioner) his main work is with rural communities in Africa with the Africa centre being the main training department, having restored the ecosystem from zero grass to a thriving savanna, with an abundance of wildlife and loin proof mobile kraals etc - https://achmonline.org/ The Savories at home -

I really don't see any good livestock producer/cattleman as being separated from environmental concerns. The best are both environmentalists and cattlemen.
Allan went into the carbon sequestration etc while Johann has concentrated on improving soil/grazing/production/acre from a cattleman point of view. There are large populations of antelope etc on Johann's ranch which are also managed as part of the environment, but not promoting the climate angle.

Andybob, you obviously know the figures involved much better than I do. I have the upmost respect for Johann Zietsman not so much for Allan Savory. The first edition of Allan Savory's book contained a glowing description of Johann's ranch but in the editions that were published after the land seizures Johann's story was edited out. Andybob, were you familiar with Stan Parsons?

Latest posts