Oxytocin

Help Support CattleToday:

Lucky

Reaction score
Two days ago I had a cow give birth to what I'd say is the smallest calf I've seen. I got them penned for the night but yesterday evening the cow still wasn't giving milk. I gave her some Oxytocin and after 30-40 minutes was able to get maybe 1/4 bottle out of her but milk was really slow. I was by myself so just gave it to her in the muscle instead of in the vien. My question is how many CC Oxytocin to yall give. If I read the bottle right it said 20 usp or 1 CC for milk let down. I was told to give her allot more than that. The cow has looked bad for months and was on the cull list, I really didn't think she was bred.

I
Two days ago I had a cow give birth to what I'd say is the smallest calf I've seen. I got them penned for the night but yesterday evening the cow still wasn't giving milk. I gave her some Oxytocin and after 30-40 minutes was able to get maybe 1/4 bottle out of her but milk was really slow. I was by myself so just gave it to her in the muscle instead of in the vien. My question is how many CC Oxytocin to yall give. If I read the bottle right it said 20 usp or 1 CC for milk let down. I was told to give her allot more than that. The cow has looked bad for months and was on the cull list, I really didn't think she was bred.
always gave 5 cc's in the muscle.

In the dairy industry every fresh cow I give 1.5cc of oxy IM. Oxytocin is naturally produced and can achieve it without giving it such. According to the vet I asked years ago he told me anymore than that you are wasting it. Oxytocin is for more than milk let down it also helps with cleanings and such. Don't get greedy with it giving it you can get her addicted to it and she WILL NOT let her milk down with it. I've seen cows give as low as a splash first milking to 60 pounds first milking. Hopefully she comes around or it sounds like you have a bottle calf to feed. Hope this helps.

We have never given more than 2 cc in the muscle... and several dairies will give .25 cc in the milk vein which works faster than in the muscle. You have to give anywhere from 2-5 minutes for the letdown happen after the shot in the muscle.

2cc is the most I ever give. Didn't know you could IV it. Learned something new.
Remember it's oxytocin, you give to much and it causes muscle contractions to.

5 cc is the dose to stimulate uterine contraction. 1 cc is the appropriate dose, but going a little higher for a really nervous cow or an addict is fine.
Interesting, I have never had desired results unless using 3 to 5.

I've never used it for milk let-down, but have always given 5cc to a cow with retained placenta. I had to really think about that, because I can't remember when I've used it last. We used to get quite a few retained placentas - especially with twins.

Latest posts