Overstocked

Help Support CattleToday:

Cross-7

Reaction score
I have settling pond above my fishing pond. It normally goes dry in the summer but has held water this summer. I thought I had seen small fish around the bank, so I started throwing a little jig. I've caught over 30 about this size in a couple hours.
Now I can see how a pond can get over stocked.

IMG_3166.jpg

IMG_3164.jpg

Cross-7":3rv1rw43 said:
I have settling pond above my fishing pond. It normally goes dry in the summer but has held water this summer. I thought I had seen small fish around the bank, so I started throwing a little jig. I've caught over 30 about this size in a couple hours.
Now I can see how a pond can get over stocked.

IMG_3166.jpg

IMG_3164.jpg

Two years ago my retention pond dried up and there was a few 5 lb bass in it. I never put a fish in the pond and it only had water in it for 4 years.

It only takes one pair and a half azz successful spawn to drastically overstock a acre of pond.
You have to either be very aggressive about removing fish. Or have a few large predator fish to keep things in check

I'd give anything if I could still post a picture. I preached at a place this morning that has a pond. Don't see that much at a church. My son loves it, when I get called here. He brings his pole, and I let him fish til I get I tired. Usually several other kids fishing it to, but not today. The little pod is 30-35 yards one direction, and 40-45 yards the other direction. Every 3rd or 4th cast yields a 2 1/2-3 lb bass. It's that way every time we come. Not sure the story, or the history of the pond. Appears to have been a church here for quit some time. The trees around the pond look ancient as well. It's totally unmanaged, and fished one day a week quit often. How this tiny little pond produces like it does amazes me. (Miracles aside ofcourse).

I've pulled 90 out total so far.
When I get 10 in the bucket I take them to the big pond, but it's beginning to take a while to fill the bucket