overseeding with rye

Help Support CattleToday:

jvicars

Reaction score
i want to over seed my pasture with winter rye. can i broadcast the rye. i know i need mosture but that is never certain. is broadcasting a waste of money without good rain? thanks.

Overseeding you will need a good rain to get it going. If you can drill it within a week after a good rain you might can get germination and get it sprouted. I'm talking cereal rye, not ryegrass.

If you have to pay $15 to $20 an acre to drill it is worth it if the ground is not plowed.

does this broadcasting rye like you guys say affect the grass the rest of the year

is the rye for the winter months and regular pasture from when to when then

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":1b8vemax said:
I disced and broadcast my rye last year follwed by a drag to bury the seed and had winter rye everywhere. Coming back this year as we type. :lol:

OhioRiver":2ukniy4z said:
does this broadcasting rye like you guys say affect the grass the rest of the year

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":2ukniy4z said:
I disced and broadcast my rye last year follwed by a drag to bury the seed and had winter rye everywhere. Coming back this year as we type. :lol:

Depending on what part of the country you are located, the rye will head out and be done before warm season grasses come out. This is for rye...not ryegrass which matures much later. Down here if we have a mild winter the rye will mature in Feb-march and be gone before spring planting or perenial grasses come up.

Proverbs 12:10":1onoh43k said:
OhioRiver":1onoh43k said:

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":1onoh43k said:

Depending on what part of the country you are located, the rye will head out and be done before warm season grasses come out. This is for rye...not ryegrass which matures much later. Down here if we have a mild winter the rye will mature in Feb-march and be gone before spring planting or perenial grasses come up.
Guess I should have stated rye grass. I let it go to seed and bush hog before my summer pasture comes in.

Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:19 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you do broad cast it, I would run a bush-hog over the pasture afterward. You don't have to cut it short, it's mainly for the vibration of the grass to help more seeds work their way down to the soil. It's not as good as tilling or drilling, but it's better than just throwing it out there. I've had pretty good stands doing this with ryegrass.

Latest posts