Overdue?

Help Support CattleToday:

Annie

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 4 yr. old (overweight) red angus cow and she is 1 day past her due date. This is her 3rd calf and she has been at least 3 days early each time (both a heifer 72 lbs and bull calf 70lbs out of Glacier Logan) We breed her to Combination this year. She is bagged up and her vulva is very saggy, she is also cranky and has been this way for a week. Do cows follow a pattern as far as early calving or is it the bull and a higher calving weight?

This cant be for real?? ONE day?? you really call that overdue??? AVERAGE gestation is just that....an average equally on either side of that number. Isnt it???

I wouldn't worry at this point , when figure out a due date it's just an estimate I don't think I've ever had any that were right on most are afew days after. Just keep an eye on her.

tapeworm":3rj93rej said:
This cant be for real?? ONE day?? you really call that overdue??? AVERAGE gestation is just that....an average equally on either side of that number. Isnt it???
You would be supprised how close the same cow and bull , AI'd will calve to the same date. I don't know if I can say with in a day but I know some cows bred to certain bulls for example go a week over .

Well maybe I joined the wrong board to ask advice on (tapeworm). It is called beginners board. This cow has always been at least 3 days early so right now, for her she is 4 days late and uncomfortable, I just wondered if most cows (like most women) follow the same pattern. Thank to all the other replys that didnt make me fell like an idiot, I can go to the local parts store and get that.

Annie":2g4wp3xa said:
Well maybe I joined the wrong board to ask advice on (tapeworm). It is called beginners board. This cow has always been at least 3 days early so right now, for her she is 4 days late and uncomfortable, I just wondered if most cows (like most women) follow the same pattern. Thank to all the other replys that didnt make me fell like an idiot, I can go to the local parts store and get that.

They aren't all that paternable. Some always seem to be a day or two early, but they may next time be a couple of days or a week earlier or later. Some has to do with the bull and some almost seems to have to do with the weather. When they calve as a heifer has no bearing whatsoever on any subsequent gestation time. One cow bred to the same bull 3 years in a row, a heifer 285 days, bull 283, bull 287. Go figure

dun

Well thank you, I wont worry yet, I'll just keep watching her, maybe the snow we're getting will spur her on. :

Good one Annie. Sometimes I feel the same way about asking a question. To me, Tapeworm sounds like a rasty old cuss but probably a good guy in person, I THINK. Just keep asking the questions because "dun" will give you an answer that makes sense and doesn't make you feel like an idiot.

Dick Austin

"Go to the local parts store and get that". :lol:. Pretty good

Chill out guys! No one is trying to make anyone feel like a fool. You have a right to ask any question you want. Everyone else has the right to comment any way they want too. :roll:

Annie, I wouldn't worry either. I have a heifer that I am estimating 2 weeks overdue. I don't think she could be that far overdue but I know her breeding date (unless she absorbed and bred on the next cycle)

I have chilled out this morning... youd think I was the overdue one,(kind of cranky). The cow accually had a big healthy heifer last night! dont worry I have lots more stupid questions just waiting to be asked. Thanks

Annie wrote

Hey Annie, dont worry about asking questions. Keep asking. Most will try to help, but there are some who will try to make you feel like an idiot any chance they get. It wont take long for you to figure out who is who. Congrats on your calf.

Welcome Annie. Dont let them run you off. Keep asking questions-- its the only way we learn. I learn all the time from other peoples question's and I suspect I am not alone . So, when you encounter a problem or are curious please ask your questions .
As far as responding to question's it wouldnt hurt for some us to remeber to be polite.

annie welcome to the boards. dont be afraid to ask questions. at times youll need to be a little thick skinned but youll be fine as long as you follow a couple of guidelines. first when you have a question you might use the search feature to save yourself some time and avoid askin something thats already been asked two dozen times. second dont blow smoke and make statements of fact that are not factual or claims that are obvious bs or cant be backed up. thats usually when the posse mounts up. plenty of room for disagreement on debatable issues and sometimes it gets a little hot. no harm done. most of the whining and bellyaching about the posse is by those who have blown smoke and made claims were known to be pure bs by anybody whose been around cattle for over ten minutes.

Welcome Annie. Glad to hear of a healthy calf. And a heifer at that. Good luck with her. Keep asking questions. That's how we learn. :)

Katherine

Latest posts