Our first Hereford sired calf, with a picture I think.

Help Support CattleToday:

highgrit

Reaction score
I didn't expect this cow to be the first to calve. Because this is her second calf this year, her last calf came 1/26/14. The irony is this cows mother is in the catch pen and heading for the sale barn at 11 o'clock today. The circle of life keeps going.

I forgot to post the picture, I stink at posting pictures.

Nice looking baldy, I had my first crop if baldies last spring, the sale barn was berry, berry good to me.

Cowgirl, we have our own system and it works great. 005 means, the first 0 is the year that the cow was born, the 05 means she was the 5 calf born in 2010. She has a 2 on the back of her tag and that is who her mom was. My wife writes everything down on column paper and is a bookkeeper by trade. She wants to get a Cattle Max program but our computer is so old she doesn't think it will run it.

MO_cows as soon as she will follow us to the wet pen, she'll get some feed. I would like to have fatter cows, but she'll be bred back in 5-6 weeks and raise a 500 lb. calf in 7-8 months with minimal inputs. What more could a person want, she's one of my best money makers.

Hook, he never lost any condition so he's a good bull to me but nothing special. But his neck is so big we had to pull the bolts out of the head gate just to be able to close it. And that's a first for us. I'll let you know in 8-9 months how good he is, by the price of his calves.

highgrit":34qmlzub said:
Polled. There's no way I could use a horned bull.

Why?

You do know the calves are born without horns?

I think you'll be happy with your bull, he has added a lot of bone and that will equate into natural thickness with maturity.

KNERSIE, my wife is the hornless one. I ended up buying a Trask blood line bull. And we are very happy with him and his calves. He's the only bull that we've bought that didn't fall apart on our management practices.
His length is his only downside in my eye, is that a Trask trait or did I just pick the wrong bull?

highgrit":2vtm6iu6 said:
KNERSIE, my wife is the hornless one. I ended up buying a Trask blood line bull. And we are very happy with him and his calves. He's the only bull that we've bought that didn't fall apart on our management practices.
His length is his only downside in my eye, is that a Trask trait or did I just pick the wrong bull?

Maybe you just picked one with correct balance. In an ideal world the length from poll to crops should be equal to that from crops to hooks, should be equal from hooks to pins.

Capacity and the ability to carry meat is three dimensional, length of spine alone wouldn't help a whole lot if length of rump and width from end to end isn't also there.

I see too many so called "long like a freight train" bulls with a rump that is barely six inches long, its very much like daylight saving time, cutting if off the one end to add to the other end won't make the day longer, the same applies to length in a beef animal.