Our First Calf Born

Help Support CattleToday:

TxCoUnTrYbOy

Reaction score
Late last night our beefmaster cow had her 2nd calf, the first one that we have been around for. Woke up this morning and saw him out there. Hes really gentle, just like momma. Momma let us just walk right up to the calf, and the calf wasnt scared of people at all, could walk right up and pet him. Cow didnt mind it at all, but of course we were ready to get out of there fast just in case. Its a little bull calf, mostly white with a brown neck and head.

Now, is there anything he needs to get right away, like shots, medicines, or anything? Momma is taking good care of him and he seems to be very healthy, no problems walking around or nursing.

Up here we give a shot of Se and E. Some iodine on the navel will cut down on the possibility of infection.
Just my two bits worth. DMc congrats on the new one.

If mom's taking good care of him let them go , if we get to one shortly after they're born we will dip the navel in iodine but we usually don't get every one. keep an eye on them and take it from there.

My two cents, I'm with shorty and Susie David. I try to give our new borns a shot of BO-SE (selenium), a shot of vit AD and I spray or dip or wipe the naval good with Iodine. Then leave them alone until I casterate or ship.

You can get an individual shot from most any large animal vet with a phone call.

Congrats on a nice sounding calf, love to see a pic when you get one.
Alan

Latest posts