Organic, a perspective

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
If you struggle with how to respond to consumers about the differences between organic and conventionally produced foods, then check out this perspective column in The Denver Post. This article is an excellent example of how we can all speak up for agriculture. To read, http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_6474474

dun":20re3h1k said:
If you struggle with how to respond to consumers about the differences between organic and conventionally produced foods, then check out this perspective column in The Denver Post. This article is an excellent example of how we can all speak up for agriculture. To read, http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_6474474

Good article. I just point out to people that the USDA says organics are no safer, healther or nutritious than conventionally produced foods. And that the only people who make that claim are trying to sell them. I do tend to irritate some people. :shock:

I'm happy for organic farmers/ranchers to produce a product that will be profitable for them. But I do get upset when they mislead consumers about conventionally raised products.

Thing is, foods labled organic are so much more expensive! I can't see paying more for apples that have worm holes.

Interesting take. I think maybe he goes overboard on the idea that animals raised on an organic farm are never treated with medication, and suffer as a result. Most people who raise organic animals maintain two herds. If one of the organic animals requires treatment that would disqualify them for organic sales, they just transfer them to the conventional herd after treatment.

I market freezer beef in a very liberal, tofu and Prius type of city. There is very little organic meat available. I advertise mine with the following: "Therapeutic medication only. No hormones. Complete medical records available on all animals."

I honestly think this does a better job of selling the meat than a blanket organic or natural label would. The big thing is people don't really know what organic means, but my ad gets them to ask about my cattle, and my explanation sells the meat.

Frankie":8kbasrfl said:
I'm happy for organic farmers/ranchers to produce a product that will be profitable for them. But I do get upset when they mislead consumers about conventionally raised products.

Me too. I mean its all about making money right? Organic farmers can do it on smaller places, Conventional farmers on bigger places. I think 4% of the country eats organically produced food now. If organic farmers can work in that niche market. More power to them.

About misleading..... I don't know if the methane greenhouse gas thing was exactly truthful. I've heard alot of misleading on both sides....