Opinions Please

Help Support CattleToday:

rmw1990

Reaction score
I would like to hear (read) your opinions on this heifer. She is a bottle-fed Simmepied and my son will be showing her this year. She will be shown as a % Simmental. All opinions and recommendations welcome.
Thank you in advance.
rmw1990
Heidi262406.JPG

she looks like a piedmontese with a simmental butt. shes pretty. dont know if she will win any shows or not though.
excellent for a bottlefed animal. how old?

She is a September 05 calf. Dam was Simmental and Sire is JVP Mr. Hugo. His pic is on homepage of http://www.beavercreekpiedmontese.com.
He is showing her kinda as a "prototype", just to see how these calves will do in the showring.

Thank yall for your opinions. Keep 'em coming!!

I agree with the others. She's got a top to drool for. She is pretty.. but also lacking in the rear. I would pour the feed to her, as has been suggested, and see how she turns out for ya. Good luck and happy showin!

Jay

They will be having a pre-show clinic this coming week for the FFA kids and we will be weighing her then. The tape says she weighs about 550. She has been weaned since February. I also would like suggestions on feeding if you would share your experiences. Good and bad. The Pieds are hard to get fat and I am afraid she will just get really tall and lanky. We have a local choice of 2 feeds the formulas being as follows:
Crude Protein--11.5%
Crude Fat--3%
Crude Fiber--9%

Crude Protein--12%
Crude Fat--$2%
Crude Fiber--21%

Suggestions please. She is at this point on a combination of the 2 feeds. 2/3 #2 and 1/3 #1 with 1/4 sc beet pulp.

Thank you so much for your quick responses!!

She is getting approximately 8 lbs twice per day and grass hay free choice. We were feeding #1 and are slowly switching to #2. I had been told conflicting opinions on these two feeds. #1 has a lot more corn and seems to cause them to become loose and we were switching to #2 to see if it would help. She is one of 5 calves my two sons are showing this year. She is the only one that is this breed combo. The others are Limi/Maine crosses. This is only our second year showing cattle and we have a LOT to learn. I appreciate all the help I can get!!!

rmw1990":221ex0tg said:
She is getting approximately 8 lbs twice per day and grass hay free choice. We were feeding #1 and are slowly switching to #2. I had been told conflicting opinions on these two feeds. #1 has a lot more corn and seems to cause them to become loose and we were switching to #2 to see if it would help.

I usually figure protein puts on frame, fat puts on, well, fat. Also, the higher the protein the looser the manure (ought to see a dairy cow on their TMR ration - my vet calls it "production manure" :shock:), lower the protein the firmer the manure. The only exception is a cow with acidosis - severe, systemic acidosis and everything will be coming out the rear end like water.

I can't quite tell you what's going on with your feed - but - I can make a guess. Feed #1 looks more like a finishing ration, especially so if it has a lot of corn in it. Generally, because corn has a low protein content and high fat content (I don't recall the exact %), a cow's manure IS pretty firm when they're on a lot of corn. However, I've also discovered that moving them from a ration without a lot of corn to one with a lot of corn can make them very loose until they adjust. On further study, feed #1 has only 9% fiber, whereas #2 has 21% -- big difference. That may be another reason for her appearing more "loose" on feed #1 than #2.

Feed #2 looks more like a growing ration, but not much more so; it's only a difference of 1%. What type of hay is she getting in addition to the grain? A good grass or slightly stemmy alfalfa can make up for a low fiber content in feed #1.

When I pull out the calculator, at 8lbs/2x/day, and weighing 550lbs, she's getting 3% of her body weight per day - it's a lot. Be sure to make feed changes very carefully when she's on that much grain. Been there, done that. :p And she most certainly does NOT need her grain increased - 3% of body weight is the maximum I'd do, and I generally don't go over 2% of body weight.

She looks very good to me - and I won't add "for a bottle calf" - because I believe a bottle calf can look every bit as good as a calf raised on a cow. I don't see a potbelly and she appears to be in good condition for her size. Good luck with her! :D

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":1vl1fw2s said:
ahhhhhhh i neglected to see that it said 8 pounds twice per day which equates to 16. LOL i was like crap 8 pounds of day is just teasing her. Darned dyslexia
just another thing that proves you are :D :D :D :D :D :D
oh did i say full of it

You guys are a lot of help!! Thank you so much! I will definitely keep the 3% in mind with all our show calves. Does that also apply to steers?

Good top line, good head and neck, but just not near enough power and substance. Way too fine boned to compete with the Maine influenced % Simmentals. But, the correct feed program and ration can make a world of difference. The 3% rule is OK, but a heifer like this one needs to be pushed on a low protein, high corn ration 4, maybe even 5 percent of body weight until she's probably a year to eighteen months old. Plus, she will need to have fantastic hair. Check your PM for a Show Calf Feed Program and ration.