Opinions on these Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

K2011

Reaction score
What are your opinions on these heifers?
#1 = Simm/Char X Simm (7 months)
#2 = Char X Simm (4.5 months)
#3 = Char X Simm (5 months)
#4 = Simm/Char X Simm (5 months)

July_17_055.jpg

July_17_057.jpg

July_17_042.jpg

July_17_046.jpg

All of them look to be well put together. Solid animals. The first one knows she has it going on look at how she's standing.

ALACOWMAN":2qpr9x83 said:
dyates":2qpr9x83 said:
How many hands high you reckon they'll be as two year olds? Those are some loooooong legs.
im guessing these were sired from that black simm bull.

You guessed right......

[/quote] going to use the red bull on them "i hope"[/quote]

Sure am

Look like solid, well, built heifers to me. Sure they will make good momma cows.

Have a little too much leg for me personally, but that is just me. I like leg on my women, not so much on my cows. :lol2:

bandit80":30jodgh5 said:
Look like solid, well, built heifers to me. Sure they will make good momma cows.

Have a little too much leg for me personally, but that is just me. I like leg on my women, not so much on my cows. :lol2:
i got a throwback out of a simbrah cow that looks like a giraffe, has too do the splits to graze.

ALACOWMAN":1qxx5mtd said:
bandit80":1qxx5mtd said:

i got a throwback out of a simbrah cow that looks like a giraffe, has too do the splits to graze.

I hear ya, I've had a couple like that. When I first got into the Gelbvieh breed, some of the first cows I had were big, long legged cows weighing 1500 lbs. The long legged ones just seemed to be harder keepers to me. Probably not the case for all of them.

bandit80":uwubus4w said:

hehehehe....better stop right there Bandit before we move to other "parts unknown".

bandit80":2xemydgk said:
ALACOWMAN":2xemydgk said:
bandit80":2xemydgk said:

I hear ya, I've had a couple like that. When I first got into the Gelbvieh breed, some of the first cows I had were big, long legged cows weighing 1500 lbs. The long legged ones just seemed to be harder keepers to me. Probably not the case for all of them.
alot of them are.. to much frame. ..some will level out, as they mature and maintain condition. some look like someone stole their guts.

Nice set of heifers.. I agree they are "leggy", but if you breed them to the right bull you should have some dandy calves.

Curious... what difference do the "stockings" have on anything? :roll: Personally I love some "chrome".. just wondering why you didn't.

All of the heifers are examples of fine phenotype - BUT - they also portend their being TOO BIG when in production, and they will cost more money to have in your herd than the phenotype will justify.

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":2y8t4vyn said:
All of the heifers are examples of fine phenotype - BUT - they also portend their being TOO BIG when in production, and they will cost more money to have in your herd than the phenotype will justify.

DOC HARRIS

Yea that my feeling on it aswell.For some reason alot of people in this part of the world just love big cows.I was at a farm sale this morning and saw a giant set of old tiger stripe cows,I'm not sure how they pay the feed bill as they were out of grass but they sure had a nice set of calves.Maybe thats why they sold out?

I think with the right bull on them all five can make productive cows. I still think you should rather look at the red bull's daughters as possible replacements.

If you go to my other topic "Took some heifers" there are 3 of the red bull's calves that we've kept

Latest posts