Opinions on New Design

Help Support CattleToday:

I would maybe use 1407 more so, he's pretty bullet proof. Bred a few to him last year, kept back a heifer calf, so well see. There are many 878 calves around. I dont like 878 as much, as compared with the other new design bulls. FWIW in "my" opinion
Jenna

Had 2 Bon View New Design 878 Sons and I would describe them as very balanced bulls. It is a safe bull to use to stay away from extremes and they were very easy fleshing as well as their calves. If you are looking to put in low inputs but still have calves that grow off well and females that breed back and drop consistent calves he is the bull for you. If you are trying to maximize growth there are newer bulls that have surpassed him but I am not a cutting edge guy myself I always like to stay a little behind the curve and play it safe. For example my next bulls will either be Mytty in Focus Sons or Sydgen CC&7 Sons. One thing also if you breed them to Gert cross or Brangus type cows they don't seem to clean up the leather as much as some bulls. .

He's made alot of people happy for a long time and still has a pretty good set of epds.
In the genetics sales industry we try to avoid selling bulls to people who aren't going to be happy with the calves. I would hesitate to sell a bull with a highly accurate 4 on docility to a man who works cattle on foot with his family involved. 4 is better than average, but I would sleep alot easier selling that same guy at least a ten or above.

I had a Balancer son out of 878 that I was very happy with and got some great calves out of him. As stated above he is not extreme either way and if a stabil get-'r-done bull is what you are looking for he would be a good choice.

I'd avoid 1407 unless you want hard doing bad uddered cows. I always found 878's to be kinda shelly narrow gutted cattle, udders and teats will be generally better than average though. The best new design line bull we used was Lemmon Newsline C804 left stout sons and functional daughters.

hooknline":354uli5u said:
Yep. Got a email on him

I got the same e-mail...They are really promoting him... I used him and several sons of him... A little disposition problem with both sons and daughters--but the biggest negative I ran into was on his daughters feet.. I just culled out some more 7-10 year olds because of their cracked and lobster claw looking toes- and the common denominator of all were that they 878 daughters or granddaughters...

cow pollinater said:
4 is better than average,
At first glance 4 would appear to be above average, but 10 is breed average for docility not zero.
0 is bottom 15% and 4 is 75 percentile or bottom 25% of the breed.
edps can be a bit deceiving, if we don't take the time to look up the parameters.
For genetic advancement selecting from top 1/3 of the breed is recommended and for docility that would be +14 or higher.

Lots of of 1407 being used here. It PAPS. My cow manager has a ton of New Design mostly 1407. I haven't seen many of the teat and bag issues you describe Robert.

Latest posts