Opinions on corral

Help Support CattleToday:

SimAngHerf

Reaction score
First of all I would like to say thank you in advance for the opinions, this is my first post but have spend many a night reading and gaining knowledge from y'alls experience. Here is the layout I have settled on, it will be made with pipe and welded throughout. The plan is cows will come into the holding area and funneled (smaller groups) into the curved alley then backed up into the diagonal holding pens, I will continue that until all are held in the holding pens. After that, push each group in the pens into the curved crowding pen and through the funnel (8 or less at a time) into the single file alley and squeeze chute. From my experience I have found cattle flow much better in curved races and will congregate at funnels so use them to your benefit. For those that may ask it will be 66" or 72" high in the high pressure areas and 2 7/8" post will be on 6' 6" centers.

sounds like it will be nice. I like at least 72'' high and It seems like 6' 6'' is closer than you need for the post but it should do good. post some pictures when you get it done.
and welcome

Brute 23":2q5yh2qj said:
Pretty sure a lady designed one very similar to that in the 60s or 70s. Should work good. Welcome :tiphat:
I believe that lady was Mrs Temple Grandin, we bought bulls from a guy that had the diagonal setup and worked smoothly.

Brute 23":s0xc4izb said:
Pretty sure a lady designed one very similar to that in the 60s or 70s. Should work good. Welcome :tiphat:
In the 60s and 70s we were still using wood pallets as a corral and a piece of a telephone post buried in the middle to work them with. My how times have changed, I'm still missing a tooth from the results of an ol Brahman cross cow we were trying to doctor.
That will be a nice set up.

Thank y'all, you don't see any areas that could prevent good flow? Do y'all think 66" is sufficient in the crowding areas, my cattle are fairly calm and work alright. I do my best not to run or yell at them and respect their flight zone.

BRYANT":3774y7zn said:
Brute 23":3774y7zn said:
In the 60s and 70s we were still using wood pallets as a corral and a piece of a telephone post buried in the middle to work them with. My how times have changed, I'm still missing a tooth from the results of an ol Brahman cross cow we were trying to doctor.
That will be a nice set up.

I wasn't around at that time but we still have pens that were built around that time. They are definitely open concept plans and are labor intensive. Not very much fun compared to modern systems.

Latest posts