Opinions on a bull

Help Support CattleToday:

jallen

Reaction score
I'm completely new to cattle. I have a very experienced person helping me with everything. I have 23 acres of very good clean grazing and I currently have 10 bred cows on it. The first one just calved a week ago and I'm looking to get a bull to run with them. I have one that is pretty local I have looked at but have no clue if it is a solid bull or not. The guy that is helping me is out of town for a few weeks so he can help when he gets back but I just wanted to start educating myself. I appreciate all of your help. Looking forward to being able to contribute to the forum some day. Have a good weekend everyone. I have attached a few pics of the bull, who knows if they will load. Forgot to mention, according to the seller he is a black angus bull that is not registered. Just turned 2 yrs old, I don't know weight. Asking $1400--he is a very calm and gentle animal from my time being around him.

http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u577/rowdyjuice/bth_bull2_zps23f66c62.png?t=1358543066

http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u577/rowdyjuice/bth_bull1_zps31911d3d.png?t=1358542964

http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u577/rowdyjuice/bth_bull_zpsd9dd75fe.png?t=1358543452

Thanks for the reply. He looks a little youngish to me as well. I wonder if he is two yet or not to be honest. The owner said he just turned two or either was about to. I'm not sure what happened with my pics. They all cut off for some reason.

He's probably not want you want in a herd bull. Half your genetics will come from whatever bull you use. A bull is probably something that you should not be afraid to invest in. I'm not saying break the bank, just look, and find a good one.

You could probably very easily find a bullsale nearby or a breeder tha's willing to sell private treaty and walk you through it and spend $2-3000 and make a much better investment desspite the inital cost. Not only will your immediate calves be better ant therefore worth more, but your replacement heifers will be better so the investment continues to pay in the future. Plus the salvage value of a good bull would just about cover the extra cost.

Thanks for the replies. Would the opinion change if this bull was only 18 mo old? It appears the farmers wife showed me the wrong bull. The farmer is sick in bed. Not really interested in this bull at this point but I was curious how he would grade out as an 18 mo old. You guys have been very helpful, thanks.

He's cheap enough for a bull... but he SHOULDN'T be a bull. Definitely steer quality and not even all that good for a steer.... Sorry! :-(

To clarify, he's thin, probably a bit stunted, hatchet-butted, and appears to have no bull characteristics based on the partial pictures. You can do yourself and your cows much better

I have another question. My cows are all black and red. I was told a black bull is my best bet. To me that meant an angus bull. I know of a 2 yr old simm-angus for sale for 2000. He has been grass fed to this point. I haven't seen the bull in person but from pictures he looks much different. He has a slick coat and much more muscle definition. I guess he just looks more like a bull to me. He appears to be solid black. Would there be anything wrong with this type bull for my needs.

That first "bull" should be a steer. The sim-angus is only slightly better than the first bull. Craig's list is a crap shoot for finding a good bull. Most people are too lazy to castrate so they try to sell bulls on Craig's list. Do yourself a favor and go to a breeder or local cattleman and look at his bulls or look on abs or select sires website. If you only have one calf on the ground you don't need a bull right away anyway so take your time and research some good bulls. There's nothing wrong with a sim-angus bull but beware of the Craig's list bulls because that's the first place to advertise before the bull goes to the sale barn to be sold for hamburger. People try to get top dollar for a reject bull, if it was a good bull then why are they selling it? Buying a bull is an investment in your herds future and you should invest wisely so your herd moves forward and calves will be your proof.

It may take some time to find one that fits your need and your budget, and hard to say much more without knowing what kind of cows you have or what they look like--or what they were bred with. If you're going to keep heifers from your current herd of bred cows, your bull needs to be able to add to the genetics of those calves when they become breeding age, and a not-so-good bull will be taking your breeding program backwards, not forward, and the same goes for your current cow herd--Last thing you want to do is put a mediocre bull on good mommas. Been guilty of that myself.
You posted a link to a Alabama Craigslist ad--If that's where you're from, there are several members here from Alabama that can probably point you to a good area breeder. You might PM alacowman.

Since you're new to cattle, remember to insure your new herdsire has all it's medical stuff up to snuff--you don't want to bring a lepto infected bull in.
And you are going to pushing the limit of 23 acres especially once those 10 cows calve. This time next year, if everything goes perfect, you'll again have 10 bred mommas, and 10 weaned calves--all hungry. Even 10 bred cows on 23 acres won't work here where I am without a lot of supplemental feeding--even more so if drought comes.
Welcome to CT! :welcome:

Some folks just rent a good bull for three or four months till cows are bred. Some folks here could possibly help you out if we had a clue about where you lived.

I live near cullman al. The thing I'll run into renting a bull is that my cows are 3-8 months bred. I would have to have a bull for quite some time I would think.

You could wait until the last cows are about 45 days post calving and then rent/lease/borrow a bull. It would make you wait longer for them all to calve but it would certainly tighten up your calving season. If you borrow/rent/lease a bull, unless he is a virgin I would make sure to have him trick tested efore turning him in, and a BSE goes without saying.

Thanks guys. If anyone local to me could put me in touch with the right person I would greatly appreciate it.

Hello,
You asked if someone local to you knew anyone who may be able to help you.
My father lives in Vinemont and used a vet by the name of Dr Lee in Cullman.
I assume Dr Lee does A.I. Given your limited space and low number of cows A.I. may be a way to go for you.
Even if the best bull money could buy was only $1400 a bull is almost worthless after 6 years($233 per year), you would be forced to sell all his helfer calves so he would not breed them. If he is a good bull then his offspring would be better and younger then your current cows so the only way to keep his helfers is to trade in your bull after only 2 years($700) per year. Lets not even go into how much it will cost you to feed him.

I dont know what local AI costs but even if its $500 per year to cover your 10 cows, you can recover some if not all in saved bull feed.

Just my 2 cents,
Jason

Latest posts