Opinion on a new hire

Help Support CattleToday:

M-5

Reaction score
AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers
Im in the process of interviewing a person for a position.

1. Impressive resume been in the field for over 30 yrs know the industry inside and out and has contacts everywhere BUT has a pending criminal investigation .

2. Very successful but not in this industry impressive resume with a reputation of getting things done. BUT is very boisterous and a little over bearing at times .

If you could only choose between these 2 who would it be?

Only two jobs where someone under a federal criminal investigation could apply for.
Fast food service or potus.

Now a man that gets things done deserves to be a little boastful and is going to probably be overbearing by nature. I wouldn't let him get by me.

I've never rejected a potential employee due to criminal anything. Even hired a convicted murder once. After he served his time and was out. I would not hire someone with a pending case though. It cost money to train folks to your way and that will be money wasted if he's convicted. Where do I send my resume?

No 2. Did you ever meet a highly successful person that was not overbearing, arrogant, etc. Just look at the successful college football and basketball coaches. They all would be impossible to live with. Who cares? You want the job done!

Texas PaPaw":guxq7rbr said:
Does number 1 usually wear pantsuits?

Inquiring minds would like to know? LOL
The one wearing the pants suit instead of a dress is tougher and has bigger gonads that the one in a business suit.

Sure there is a #3.. I'm sure there were more than 2 applicants

Did I ever meet a successful person that wasn't arrogant? Yes, I have.. My old boss built up a heck of a company and he WORKED LIKE HECK... I didn't mind putting in overtime when we had deadlines, because he was ALWAYS there working beside you.

Old fellow I knew while I was in high school, softest spoken fellow you've ever met, he was sorta the grandpa I never had. Him and his brother had a successful mill for 50 years... How successful? When he sold, his cut was 90 million

Hurley, sadly I think that's true!

Criminal investigation is much different than criminal conviction. Innocent until proven guilty. How big of a rush do you have to be in? Which one gives you the best feeling? I can stand arrogance personally but I'm not the one who will have to deal with #2. Weigh the good and bad and pick the one (or neither) that you can live with and that compliments the position your interviewing for the best.

As a multi small business owner for 20 plus years I'll try to give you a serious answer. We have hired a couple of hundred people in those years,minimum wage job, plenty of turn over but not a high skilled job. A fed investigation worry's me less then someone who is being "boastful", although a fed investigation is not to be taken lightly. Boastful people just can't shut up and tend to do more harm then good. So in a nut shell, keep looking, too many problems with this hire.

With that said did he volunteer the fed investigation or did you find it out in a background check? Upfront and honest is brownie points but in my book boastful is not. Boastful tends to always be right and not good communication with clients.

Just my :2cents:

Margonme":25owppdt said:
No 2. Did you ever meet a highly successful person that was not overbearing, arrogant, etc. Just look at the successful college football and basketball coaches. They all would be impossible to live with. Who cares? You want the job done!

You're putting a lot of folks in the same box! Read about John Wooden. Don't think he was overbearing and arrogant. Maybe he's the only one?

I've played for a couple of coaches who I wish was a little more overbearing when I needed it, but were not.

Latest posts