Open heifers (options?)

Help Support CattleToday:

sidney411

Reaction score
Some people know of my situation but here is the short version:
I bought 2 registerd herf. heifers and I've had them with 2 different bulls for a total of a year now (I know - way, way too long) They are both still open. They've been to the vet 3 times now and had a good physical tract exam every time. I've seen them come in and I've seen the bull loving on them. I don't know what the problem is with them but the seller won't take them back, trade them on others, or refund my money. If I take them to the auction I will lose my butt on them so I was thinking about feeding them out and selling to a packer but I've never done this and don't know anyone who has. Can someone tell me how I would go about selling directly to the packer (if I can) and if anyone around here knows a packer that would accept them from an individual. Or if anyone has any better ideas on what I could do with them I'm sure open to discussion. Thanks All!

Since you have this much invested in them, you might want to invewst a little more. Have they had a Reproductive Tract Exam, i.e., ovarys, tubs, uterus, and maybe even have a pippette passed throug hthe cervix? If not you might want to try that. Are the bulls settling other cows/heifers?
We had a cow that when she should have ovulated, instead the ovary went cystic. We bred her AI and gave her a shot of GnRH at the same time, solved the problem. Have you ever seen them actually stand for the bull?
Just ideas/suggestions

dun

The vet has examined them when he palpated them and said everything felt normal. I don't know about the other things you said but I know he hasn't tried the pipette. The last time he said one felt like she was coming in and the bull stuck to her like glue for the next few days. I've not actually seen the bull mount them - I am not there enough to monitor that. I was wondering about the bulls too, so last time - in July - I hauled in 12 cows from the same herd they were in and every one was bred within a week or two of my estimated breed dates. So I know the bull is doing his job. What does a full Repro tract exam consist of other then palpatation?

BTW - My avatar is one of them when I picked them up last year....

Start feeding them and looking for a packer to sell to right now. In 8 to 10 weeks you should be able to find a packer to satisfactorily lell to.

Just a note, we have one that will not settle with a bull, but she will take on the first time everytime AI.

Latest posts