open cows

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
I have heard lots of reports of an unsually high amount of cows being open around here. People that normally have 92-94% bred are running 70%. Its bad enough the cattle prices are low now folks are having high numbers of open cows.

I talked to a guy here who preg checked and he had an open rate of 20% which is unususal. Figuring on nutrition. I mean last year flooding and poor pasture and quality hay, this summer the pasture was poor due to alot of rain and no heat. Has to take it's tole somewhere...

rockridgecattle":3gkh5viz said:
I talked to a guy here who preg checked and he had an open rate of 20% which is unususal. Figuring on nutrition. I mean last year flooding and poor pasture and quality hay, this summer the pasture was poor due to alot of rain and no heat. Has to take it's tole somewhere...

Yup I would look at minerals first.

Ok, i think you missed the point Sigma. The minerals are there and they consume them. Conception is not alone dependant on minerals. Nutrition from good quality pasture and hay have to be there as well. Did you read the part about the flooding....not only does it take it's tole on the land but on the cattle as well. Just like a drought, you will see poor conception rates the following year. It takes a while for a cow to bounce back. Some more than others

rockridgecattle":1hvt1g7l said:
Ok, i think you missed the point Sigma. The minerals are there and they consume them. Conception is not alone dependant on minerals. Nutrition from good quality pasture and hay have to be there as well. Did you read the part about the flooding....not only does it take it's tole on the land but on the cattle as well. Just like a drought, you will see poor conception rates the following year. It takes a while for a cow to bounce back. Some more than others

I know that that aint the only thing but I always check minerals first then see if they are getting enough feed. Then if they are getting enough feed and they still aint breeding then I would perhaps assume something health related.

rockridgecattle":3w3o7bag said:
but i think i made the point in the first post about nutrition...Hay quality and pasture quality poor due to flooding
Not only the nutrition part but also the stress of dealing with flooding (the cows stress, not the oweners)

I am hearing that around here because of the drought RR. Same thing low conception..

I lucked out all bred except for my favorite flush cow that has gone into menopause.. :cry2:

I think maybe because they were bred while still on hay in there calf pasture helped out a lot. They were safely in calf before they were kicked out to mediocre pasture. Frankly I am amazed that all were heavy bred and managed to have ween weights like they did.

I just hope everyone here preg checks, it would be a real waste to wait around for a calf to come next spring and not have one while feeding all of that expensive feed.

hillsdown":220cpiwy said:
I am hearing that around here because of the drought RR. Same thing low conception..

I lucked out all bred except for my favorite flush cow that has gone into menopause.. :cry2:

I think maybe because they were bred while still on hay in there calf pasture helped out a lot. They were safely in calf before they were kicked out to mediocre pasture. Frankly I am amazed that all were heavy bred and managed to have ween weights like they did.

I just hope everyone here preg checks, it would be a real waste to wait around for a calf to come next spring and not have one while feeding all of that expensive feed.
Can a cow get menopause?

Yes, she is 14 years old and has stopped cycling just like a human female does when they get that old. They can no longer produce eggs..

14 in cow years is old; especially for a high producing dairy cow.

Latest posts