Open cow

Help Support CattleToday:

no, if you are going to be at the sale tell them when she comes in the ring that she is open. otherwise tell the sale barn owner to tell the auctioneer to announce it when she comes through.

can you sell her as "exposed"? No guarantee that she is, but maybe....

joe":2j8uirbn said:
can you sell her as "exposed"? No guarantee that she is, but maybe....

Brings to mind P.T. Barnum.

We're working on reputation here. If she is a poor breeder - you don't want another sucker to get stuck with her.
This is why we recommend people to stay away from sale barn cows for replacements - they are someones' culls.
Build a reputation & tell them she's a non breeder - don't just say she's open.

Don't waste the $ to have her palpated, you know she is open. She will not bring anymore as an open palpated cow then a strait slaughter cow _ UNLESS_ she is selling with a young calf at side and is open. I don't think that would be an option though.

I don't know this for fact, but I was told that the slaughter cow buyers will pay more if they know for sure the cow is not bred. Without a zero on her they are taking a chance that she is bred.

East Texas sale barns are Full of surprises! You never have any idea how they will check, sometimes very accurate, sometimes waaay off. I do believe I agree with Cole Cattle's opinion.

We'll see next tuesday!

Thank you all!
G&L

G&L Cattle":1izrzqas said:
We have a cull cow that has not bred back and will go to the sale asap. Should we have her preg checked at the salebarn or just weigh her?

Thanks,
G&L

I would if there is a chance of her being bred. The barn I go to only charges 3 bucks.

Scotty

Latest posts