open angus heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

joe

Reaction score
just got back from the vet, the 3rd time of having the Mrs. Angus heifer pregged, and she is still open. we bought this heifer as an open calf at the breeders yearly sale, had the ABS rep synchro Ai' her, and timed Ai' her from semen we purchased from the same breeder and had her with two different bulls. Still open. Vet can't find a reason, but says also he can't tell if she has ever cycled. I spoke with the breeder after the failed attempts at AI ing and they offered to sell me a bull, but instead of that $7000 investment, I paid a breeder $60, with no positive outcome. What am I entitled to from the breeder for this heifer, or are we stuck with $2500 steaks? Also, this is no small time breeder, their last sale of females averaged a little over $10,000 per lot, with over 60 lots selling.

Joe,
I'm not sure that you are "entitled" to anything....however, your situation is not unlike many that happen to folks....whether it be a non-breeder (female) or a non-fertile (bull). Bottom line: it all depends on who you choose to do business with. We have personally been on both ends of this stick. We have purchased some in the past with these problems and have had variable results with the seller. Also, being in the seedstock business ourselves, we have sold some (unknowingly) that turned up with problems for our customers. That said, we prefer to do business now with folks that we know will stand behind their product. When a customer like you has gone through all of the proper channels to get her pregnant and still to no avail, we immediately take the heifer back (& send her to the salebarn) and credit him/her in our next sale for the purchase price. Being in the seedstock business for over 50 years, we know that the customer is ALWAYS right. We can't afford for him/her to have a bad experience with our product just for the sake of a short-term dollar.....we'd rather have them return to us as a customer for years to come. We also can't afford to have one person out there "talking bad" about our reputation or cattle. Anybody that's been in the cattle business for any length of time knows that these non-fertile, non-breeders exist in the population. What separates the reputable breeders from the others is their service after the sale. All of that said....I would again approach the breeder, lay out your situation and your trials, then ask for them to take the heifer back and reimburse you the purchase amount or to extend credit for the amount in their next sale. If they still don't listen....I'd recommend finding another seedstock supplier.

joe":14vdxo9g said:
just got back from the vet, the 3rd time of having the Mrs. Angus heifer pregged, and she is still open. we bought this heifer as an open calf at the breeders yearly sale, had the ABS rep synchro Ai' her, and timed Ai' her from semen we purchased from the same breeder and had her with two different bulls. Still open. Vet can't find a reason, but says also he can't tell if she has ever cycled. I spoke with the breeder after the failed attempts at AI ing and they offered to sell me a bull, but instead of that $7000 investment, I paid a breeder $60, with no positive outcome. What am I entitled to from the breeder for this heifer, or are we stuck with $2500 steaks? Also, this is no small time breeder, their last sale of females averaged a little over $10,000 per lot, with over 60 lots selling.

Well Joe - we do not sell many for breeding purposes - in fact darned few - we tend to keep them for ourselves.

But ... if it leaves here for breeding purposes - it is outright plain and simple - GUARANTEED to breed - or you bring it back and we give you your money back. Or, you go out in the field and pick another one. Period.

Not saying what you wrote is the whole story or not - but if it is then your options - and I will probably miss a couple - are:

1. Live with it - not my favourite option.

2. Ask for a replacement of your choice - sounds like this one might not be a player from what I am reading.

3. Ask for your money back - see my comment for #2.

4. Ask for a credit on next sale - in my opinion this is a totally unsatisfactory option - you lose a year of breeding and/or a calf.

5. Take it back and get THEM to get this animal safe in calf - within whatever YOU consider a reasonable time.

Do not put this persons name up on the board - you would be looking for trouble - but - if I did not get satisfaction you can be sure everyone I know would know about it.

Offering to sell you a bull was not kosher in my books - this looks to me like a place to avoid in the future.

And, unfortunately from your writings it looks like that may be the outcome.

Regards,

Bez'

joe":1vejsawr said:

You should not be out $2500. Below is a link to the Suggested Terms and Conditions from the American Angus Assn. Read them and see if they fit your situation. Decide what you want the breeder to do: refund your money, replace the heifer, put her with one of his bulls, whatever, and tell him what you want done, politely, of course. If you don't get a satisfactory response, then put that in a letter to him with a cc to the American Angus Association.
You might email your Angus Regional Manager about your situation, too. He might have some suggestions. I think that's Vern Fry. There's a link below to his email address. Let us know how it goes or pm me if you think I can help.

Suggested Sale Terms and Conditions
http://www.angus.org/pubs/suggested_sale_terms.pdf

Vern Fry
http://www.angusproductions.com/api_rm8.html

joe":2vs8rm0v said:
Vet can't find a reason, but says also he can't tell if she has ever cycled

You need a new vet if he can't tell you if she's ever cycled or currently cycling.

milkmaid":i5m1h29t said:
joe":i5m1h29t said:
Vet can't find a reason, but says also he can't tell if she has ever cycled

You need a new vet if he can't tell you if she's ever cycled or currently cycling.

You should also have a vet that can tell if she is all there. I had a heifer at preg check that the vet said had ovaries about the size of peanuts. Felt like what he would imagine a newborn or sorts to have.

Scotty

Latest posts