Open a slaughterhouse?

Help Support CattleToday:

CalumetFarms

Reaction score
USDA processors are booked up months and months in advance. And have been for a while. So I am contemplating opening a meat processing facility, something I've considered for a while.
I work in industrial refrigeration by trade so I have extensive knowledge of that side of a facility like this, as well as resources to a lot of things at-cost.
I also have lots of place, and some infrastructure on my farm like three-phase power. And a cattle handling facility.

So what I'd need is more knowledge and expertise on processing beef, pork, etc.
Lots of equipment like saws, trolley, product racks. Prep tables, sinks. Vacuum sealer.

And what hoops are there to jump through for USDA inspection and certification?

sstterry

Reaction score
I may be wrong, but I believe that a local Processor told me that the USDA certification process takes about 2 years. If someone knows for sure, please correct me.

FarmerShell

Reaction score
I have been drawing up blue prints for the live animal and kill floor part of a small processor (8beef, 20gigs a wk) They have a $1.5 million budget.
You better know you really want to do it before you invest like that.

Just do it go big if all else fails blame Biden. 😆
I like the work in a processing plant first.

Do taxidermy on the side... 😆 you can return whole cows to put back in their fields. Or for town folks. 😆 Never mind I'm silly.

FarmerShell

Reaction score
I want a cow stuffed but on hide legs jumping. 😆 Heck yea that would be silly. 😆

FarmerShell

Reaction score
Seriously if you had a 1.5 million budget take the money and run don't look back. 😁🐎

1 million is longer to 500,000 now days. Just think all our kids and grand kids could be millionaire but won't be the same in their time amd ago.

Hpacres440p

Reaction score
Where are you located? We just had a beautiful new USDA plant open here in Central Texas last February. By July they were no longer taking new clients, only those who had previously booked with them. By November they had set a $650 minimum processing fee (even with weight limits of 700-2000 lbs LW). I was lucky enough to be in their “original client” criteria, but they are still 6-8 monout booking. I applaud your idea-more processors are needed. See what your employee availability is, however. That may be your biggest limitation. Not a lot of folks wanting to humanely kill every day (the crazies enjoy non-humane). Processing can make or break a processor-screw up cuts on one too many orders and you’re done.