Oops

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
After fighting a virgorous battle with thistles in a couple of pastures it appears we've finally gotten the upper hand. No thistles or even rosettes this year. But, the areas that were forested with thistle are now solid spiny pigweed. Not sure which I hate the most

dun

As agrevating as thistle is it seems easy to kill compared to pigweed.maybe pigweed is more competitive than thistle ive had luck knocking pigweed back in early spring with just 2-4-D

this year does seem to be great for pigweed. and locuss sprouts. bumper crops of both. and for a first time ever what i was raised to call a cuckelburr/porcupine eggs.

2,4-D will gewt it good, but I hadn;t looked at these pastures closely for a while. After all, everything was dead from the drought. The pigweed has shot up (we got a little rain finally) and it's already flowering and 5 foot tall. Miserable stuff

dun

Dun, we have Spiny Amaranth here too and it will grow any where there is a speck of dirt that gets wet. It was growing really well in the picture of the Angus heifer I posted. I notice the cattle will eat the tops out of it when there is plenty of green grass. I also am thinking that I will be mowing down the seedlings where they cattle graze next year too.

Latest posts